CHICAGO, IL – More than 30,000 dentists and dental professionals will return to Chicago to explore the latest innovations and techniques in dentistry at the Chicago Dental Society’s (CDS) 147th annual Midwinter Meeting. Kicking off this Thursday, February 23 at McCormick Place’s West Building and running through Saturday, February 25, the Midwinter Meeting will attract dental professionals and more than 600 exhibitors from around the globe.
The Midwinter Meeting is one of the largest exhibits of dental products in North America and among the top four health care tradeshows in the country, according to Expo magazine.
“The Midwinter Meeting is an opportunity for the dental community to experience the finest and most ground-breaking technologies available and receive hands-on courses and in-depth educational programs,” said 2012 CDS President John Gerding, DDS. “Ultimately, what they learn at the meeting will lead to the highest quality care available to patients.”
Guests at the Midwinter Meeting will not on only have a first-look at what’s new in modern dentistry, but will also have access to an agenda of educational programs that address all aspects of dentistry, including more than 120 speakers, 190 courses and 38 hands-on courses; programs include:
- The Value of Social Media in Dentistry – Explores the various facets of the modern web, as it applies to dentistry, including social media, and how to turn a website visitor into a patient.
- Does Your Practice Pass the “Whitening Systems” Test? – A “live,” in-office demonstration where attendees will learn how to evaluate the best treatment for the patient using the right product. CDS will be live streaming the demonstration on their Facebook page.
- Will You Still Treat Me When I’m 64! – Reviews the changes associated with aging and how they affect oral health, plus modifications of dental treatments for patients with special needs
The Chicago Dental Society also recently released results from its ninth annual member dentist survey, which polled dentists to learn more about current trends, tips and more. More than 100 dentists responded to the fall 2011 survey. Topline findings include:
- Social media for dental offices picks up steam. More than 67 percent of dentists surveyed say that their practice has a Facebook page, which is up from a 17 percent response last year. Nearly 24 percent say their practice uses Twitter, up from 6 percent, and 14 percent are using YouTube, up from 4 percent.
- Dentists have hearts. Almost 70 percent of the dentists surveyed say they volunteer their services to dental charities. More than 80 percent say they provide discounted services at their practice, while over 70 percent say they donate supplies. Others provide financially to charities or volunteer at dental clinics.
- Busy schedules thwart brushing and flossing. More than half of the dentists surveyed say that their patients’ number-one excuse for not brushing or flossing their teeth is they don’t have enough time. When it comes to the most interesting explanation, we found out that pets don’t just eat homework – they crave toothbrushes, as well!
About the Chicago Dental Society
Organized in 1864, the Chicago Dental Society represents more than 4,000 dentists in the metropolitan Chicago area. Its mission is to represent the interests of dentists, promote the art and science of dentistry, and advocate for improving oral health for all. The society is the largest local affiliate of the Illinois State Dental Society and the American Dental Association.