During these checks, a total of 10 businesses were inspected based upon prior history and anonymous complaints submitted to the Buckeye Police Department recently. The following Buckeye businesses passed compliance measures by properly checking approved identifications and not selling alcoholic beverages to the underage informants:
1. Liquor Corral, located at 429 E. Monroe Avenue
2. Big K's Discount Cigarettes, located at 101 E. Monroe Avenue
3. Buckeye Food and Gas, located at 105 E. Monroe Avenue
4. Mikey's Mini Mart, located at 210 W. Baseline
5. Circle K, located at 307 E. HWY 85
6. JJ Food Mart (Chevron), 1419 N. Jackrabbit Trail
7. Basha's, 21064 W Main Street
8. Circle K, 537 S. Watson Road
The remaining two local businesses were cited for multiple liquor violations, which included failure to properly check identifications and sales of alcoholic beverages to minors. These businesses will be contacted by the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control regarding additional state liquor license administrative violations.
Deanna Kupcik, co-chairman of the Way Out West Coalition in Buckeye is pleased with the results of this inspection.
"This is a great step forward in Buckeye. The first compliance checks, two years ago, resulted in a 75% sell rate, and the next one found 66% of the businesses selling to minors. For us to only have a 20% sell rate shows how far we have come and it further demonstrates the community's responsiveness, and the local businesses' commitment to making Buckeye a better place to raise a family and keep our youth safe."
About the WOW Coalition
The WOW Coalition was formed in 2009 to reduce substance abuse among teens in Buckeye, Arizona. The coalition is made up of community members and leaders that are committed to change.