Milpitas, California, March 6, 2012 – JDSU (NASDAQ: JDSU and TSX: JDU) today announced that it is sampling the Twin 1x20 Wavelength Selective Switch (WSS) with network equipment manufacturers. Part of its family of TrueFlex TM optical products, the new Twin WSS provides flexible grid spacing and improved node level performance for network speeds beyond 100G.
While networks that can support rates beyond 100G are in early planning stages, JDSU is driving a full suite of new products that provide maximum flexibility for these Self Aware Networks of the future. Providing the industry’s first Twin WSS gives NEMs the option to deploy products on or off the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) grid. This provides NEMs with increased flexibility, improved spectral efficiency and lower overall component costs.
Network equipment manufacturers are under pressure to provide faster network speeds and higher optical performance to keep pace with bandwidth demand as more consumers access online video and other applications through new devices such as smart phones and tablets.
JDSU expects to begin shipments of the TrueFlex product suite within the second half of calendar year 2012.
“The motivation for flex spectrum is to allow cost-effective support beyond 100G wavelengths with respectable reach distances and higher total capacity,” said Glenn Wellbrock, director of Optical Transport, Network Architecture and Design, Verizon. “To ensure these higher speed wavelengths are as robust as 100G, the overall platform must be engineered properly beyond simply introducing flexibility to the optical channels’ widths.”
“JDSU’s TrueFlex line of products are designed to address the realities of what it takes to support Self Aware networks that will operate at rates faster than 100G,” said Alan Lowe, president of the CCOP business segment at JDSU. “We are leapfrogging the competition by developing products based on decades of optical design expertise that can support any network frequency – on or off the ITU grid.”
JDSU TrueFlex products include:
- Twin Wavelength Selective Switch (WSS) – Two independent 1x20 WSS’s integrated into a compact form factor to support the ‘route and select’ architecture at the heart of next generation networks. It will provide the required improved node level performance and efficiently support wavelength routing and improved signal isolation. It will also provide full Flexible Spectrum channel allocation and a graceful scaling for channel multiplexing and demultiplexing with colorless, directionless and contentionless capabilities.
- Dual Multi-Cast Switch – An integrated pair of new devices for Self Aware Networks that implement colorless, directionless and contentionless wavelength routing in a single and highly compact and cost effective package. It will support up to 8 degrees of optical switching and 16 transceiver ports.
- Quad Optical Channel Monitor – A high speed and high-resolution channel monitor that has 4 inputs and a scanning filter to support the demanding needs of Flexible Spectrum and dynamically reconfigured Self Aware Networks.
- Hybrid Raman-Erbium Amplifier – An amplifier that re-energizes weakened network signals traveling over long distances while injecting less noise onto the network compared to conventional erbium doped fiber amplifiers (EDFAs). This will allow 100G or 400G signals to travel further with less performance degradation and leverages JDSU’s leading high power optical pump and EDFA technologies.
- EDFA Array – Several EDFAs integrated into a highly compact form factor will provide amplification within flexible multiplexing and demultiplexing modules.
See live demos of JDSU TrueFlex products at booth #1403 during the Optical Fiber Communication Conference/National Fiber Optics Engineers Conference (OFC/NFOEC) in Los Angeles, California from March 6-8, 2012.
JDSU (NASDAQ: JDSU; and TSX: JDU) innovates and markets diverse technologies that enhance the way people experience the world every day. We enable fast, high-quality communications, secure financial transactions, reliable consumer electronics, green energy, differentiated brands and a host of other solutions. We provide these solutions through three business segments: Communications Test and Measurement, Communications and Commercial Optical Products, and Advanced Optical Technologies. To learn more about JDSU, please visit www.jdsu.com and www.jdsu.tv. Follow us on JDSU Perspectives, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
Press: Noël Bilodeau 408-546-4567 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Investors: Cherryl Valenzuela 408-546-4521 or email@example.com