The DLA-X3 is the entry-level model, and reviewers seem to all agree that it's a terrific value. Here's what they're saying:
- "Gorgeous deep blacks, aided by the ability to dial down the projector's light output via the multi-step iris and dimmed lamp mode allow me to get just the right combination of overall picture brightness along with deep, inky blacks."
- "The JVC excels at delivering a super-sharp picture across the entire screen, even out to the screen corners."
- "JVC's highly refined D-ILA imaging technology seems ideal for 3D, as this reasonably-priced entry level model delivers an enticing 3D image, along with excellent 2D high resolution imagery."
- "The 3D image quality is comparable to that provided by the best 3D plasma HDTV flat panel sets out there (and better than what you'd experience in a commercial movie theater with typical passive polarized 3D glasses)..."
- ".a technology-packed design"
- "for price and performance, and the features that it incorporates, it's pretty astounding what $4500 will get you."
- ".when you see the contrast of a D-ILA projector, like this JVC , how dark black is compared to some of those other projectors out there, it's eye candy .it's fun viewing."
- "To say I was impressed would be an understatement. JVC has done a phenomenal job in its implementation of 3D with this freshman effort."
- "I can honestly say I'm more impressed with the DLA-X3's 3D performance than any 3D I've ever seen at a commercial theater."
- "With 2D playback, the DLA-X3 was one of the best projectors I've ever used."
- "In the DLA-X3, it is truly amazing that JVC has been able to improve on their 2D performance and deliver exceptional 3D performance with their freshman effort, all at a price of $4,495."
The step-up X7, which is THX 3D Certified, is also impressing the experts.
Sound + Vision
- "A treat for the eyes."
- "If you've become used to the inferior contrast ratio of most TVs and projectors, looking at the image created by the X7 will ruin all other displays for you forever."
- "Skin tones, shades of red in lips, green grass, blue sky - all were wonderfully realistic."
- "The JVC DLA-X7 is a staggeringly good projector. Its black level is among the best regardless of technology, but most important, this black level is achieved while simultaneously giving off bright whites."
- ".this projector's 2D performance was subtly but noticeably improved in some important areas compared to my DLA-HD750."
- "The DLA-X7 looked so sharp and detailed, and its 3D effects are so convincing, that it blows away what you'll see from most commercial Digital Cinema 3D."
- "I bought the DLA-X7 as my new reference projector. My money's where my mouth is, and that, dear reader, is the highest recommendation I or anyone else can offer."
Big Picture Big Sound
- "...the black level and contrast ratio are fantastic, far better than what you'll get with any other technology."
- "It's simply an awesome image."
Geoff Morrison, Big Picture Big Sound, May 17,2011