This cultural event including attending the dances is free and open to the public. To accommodate welcoming the public, the Ohio History Center and Ohio Village will not charge admission for any visitor after 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 28. All visitors will enter through the “Welcome Lobby” in the Center and make the brief walk from the Center to the Ohio Village.
ESTOO is one of three federally-recognized Shawnee tribes: Absentee Shawnee near Shawnee, OK; the Eastern Shawnee in Ottawa County, OK near Seneca, MO; and the Shawnee Tribe headquartered in Miami, OK. Originally these three tribes were unified as the Shawnee Nation and lived in Ohio until their Removal in the mid 19th century.
This cultural exhibition is in association with the Ohio Historical Society’s and Newark Earthworks Center's Native American outreach programs to rebuild relationships with the nine federally recognized tribes with historic connections to Ohio. These outreach programs have been in place since 2009.
These Shawnee visitors are coming to Ohio to visit ancient earthworks at Newark and Chillicothe. They will be following “The Ancient Ohio Trail,” a new website directing tourists to Ohio’s earthwork sites and providing interpretive material in hundreds of downloadable videos.
Their visit is made possible by a grant received by Ohio State University, Newark and University of Cincinnati from the National Endowment for the Humanities' Interpreting America's Historical Places program to fund the Ohio Ancient Trail project.
ABOUT THE OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY AND THE OHIO HISTORY CENTER
Founded in 1885, the non-profit Ohio Historical Society (OHS) provides a wide array of statewide services and programs related to collecting, preserving and interpreting Ohio’s history, archeology and natural history. The society has about 1.6 million items in its collections throughout its 50+ sites and within its 250,000-square-feet Ohio History Center at 800 E 17th Ave. (Exit 111 off Highway I-71), Columbus, Ohio, 43211.
The Ohio Village is a re-created village built to suggest an iconic town in Ohio in the 1860’s. It is situated on the campus of the Ohio Historical Society. Now through September 2, 2012, it is open to the public for the same hours and days that the museum is open: Wed – Sat. 10-5 p.m. and Sun. Noon-5 p.m.
The Society receives a portion of its funding from the state, but relies on admission fees, memberships, grants, donations and other forms of revenue to continue to serve Ohioans in the future.