The Gardens also offers these tips for beating the heat while still enjoying the Gardens:
- Arrive early. The Gardens open at 9 a.m. and this is the best time to tour the Fairy Houses & Forts exhibit. Bring along water bottles (freeze a partial bottle ahead of time to keep it cold throughout your walk). If you have toddlers, a stroller or wagon will be handy.
- Take a break in the Rock & Waterfall Garden. This cool, shady garden has babbling brooks and benches with beautiful views.
- Consider a trolley pass. Just a buck gives you all day access (and kids always ride free!).
- 4. Splash in the Fountain Garden. Bring swim suits, towels and sun screen and have fun splashing where it's not only allowed, but encouraged!
- Cool off with a garden-fresh frozen treat. reFresh, the snack shop located in the Heartland Harvest Garden's Missouri Barn, is offering garden-fresh homemade popsicles. Flavors vary with the daily harvest, with flavors such as Blackberry Fennel, Basic Peach, Plum Shiso, Peach with Raspberries, Peach with Blackberry Swirl and Chocolate Raspberry.