DENVER, CO -- Epic Stadium run-through! Seven miles of water on the urban marathon course! A new 10 mile race! The Kaiser Permanente Colfax Marathon, Half Marathon and Marathon Relay is Denver's springtime marathon and has lots of new features for 2012! Get ready for the ultimate urban tour of Denver, Aurora and Lakewood on Sunday, May 20, 2012.
- The 26.2 mile marathon course runs through Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium - twice! At miles 6 and 20, runners will see themselves on the big screen as they run through the home of the Broncos.
- The marathon features seven miles of scenic waterways - including Sloan's Lake, Platte River, Cherry Creek Confluence Park, and Ferril Lake in City Park. Plus a run through Denver's Fire Station #1!
- The 13.1 mile half marathon course features a run through Aurora's Fire Station #1. Runners love our half marathon - it’s fast and flat, and famous for setting personal records.
- *NEW* in 2012 - The Urban 10 Miler is a fast, challenging race. The best of the marathon course at a shorter distance! Spots are limited. *UPDATE: SOLD OUT!*
- The DaVita Charity Partners Program allows local charities to raise money by recruiting runners to raise funds and awareness - it’s one of the top programs in the country.
- The Sports & Fitness Expo is at the club suites at Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium May 18 & 19, 2012 - plenty of free parking at this convenient location.
- Local companies compete in the 5 person marathon relay Corporate Cup Challenge for cash awards from Kaiser Permanente and the Colfax Marathon to the winning teams' charity of choice.
"Every year, we strive to keep the marathon course fun," said Race Director Creigh Kelley. "This marathon course doesn't just stay on Colfax. It's truly an urban course, taking runners through the streets of our city, and giving them access to great landmarks like Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium."
The race welcomes local charities to participate in the DaVita Charity Partners program, where nonprofits recruit runners to raise funds for their cause. In 2011, 73 charities participated, making the Kaiser Permanente Colfax Marathon the fourth largest charity program in the country.
"Our race mission is to encourage a healthy and fit community, and provide a distance for everyone," said Andrea Dowdy, Executive Director of the race for the third year. "In our seven years, we've seen a lot of great changes along the Colfax corridor, and we want the course to reflect that vibrant, caring community spirit."
“The Kaiser Permanente Colfax Marathon supports our mission to improve the health of the communities we serve. We are thrilled to be the title sponsor of this great event again this year and we want to encourage folks to take part in the fun,” said Jandel Allen-Davis, MD, Kaiser Permanente Vice President of Government and External Relations.
Online registration is now open at www.runcolfax.org. Prices increase at midnight on January 25, 2012. The sooner you register, the lower the price!
WHEN: Sunday, May 20, 2012
WHERE: Denver's City Park
FOLLOW: On Twitter @runcolfax - use #runcolfax