The situation unfolded in front of the old Niagara Falls Junior High School where a number of children were observed drawing on the sidewalk with what seemed to be chalk. However, when adults went over to check on the kids, they learned that the children were actually drawing with a chunk of asbestos.
"It just shocks me. I'm scared for my daughter. What's to come of her health later on?" Tammy Shermer, the mother of one girl who was drawing with the deadly substance, told Buffalo’s WIVB News Channel 4.
The asbestos likely found its way onto the street after thieves broke into the old school to steal piping. Because much of the piping in the school was lined with asbestos insulation, the covering was likely ripped off of the pipes and left behind on the street during the robbery.
Superintendent of Schools Cynthia Bianco said that appropriate actions would be taken to clean up the area and make it safe for children to play near. However, parents are nonetheless worried that their children may have inhaled dangerous amounts of asbestos that could lead to the development of deadly illnesses like mesothelioma and asbestosis later in their lives.