A rare strain of E. coli that sickened at least 12 people in five states has been linked to food served at Jimmy Johns Gourmet Sandwiches restaurants.
According to MSNBC, the E. coli strain was linked to raw clover sprouts that were used at the restaurant chains. Those who became sickened were affected during late December and mid-January by the strain of thebacteria that is part of a group known as Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, or STEC. This particular strain can cause serious adverse side effects such a bloody diarrhea and hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), which can result in death.
The 12 states in which victims were sickened include Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin and Arkansas, according to the CDC. Among those who were sickened, two had to be hospitalized.
If you or a loved one has been harmed by an unsafe food product, contact Sokolove law for a free legal consultation and to learn about your options.