While it may not be the most reassuring thought, it is important nonetheless to remember that deadly asbestos exposure can in the most unexpected of places.
One example of this can be seen at Rainbow Springs State Park in Dunnellon, Florida, where the park’s gift shop and visitors center was closed in early January for repairs following a small fire caused by a heat lamp in a snake habitat. However, as repairs got underway following the fire it was discovered that asbestos had been used in the building’s ceiling and flooring materials.
Jessica Sims, a spokeswoman for the Florida Park Service, said that the asbestos discovery led to the need for a much larger renovations project that will keep the gift shop and visitors center closed for several more months until any potential mesothelioma risk at the site has been dealt with.
"The building was sealed after the fire due to potential asbestos contamination. The contamination inspection has been completed, and the park is waiting on permission to enter the building to remove all contents. After removal has been accomplished, the residual asbestos will be removed,” Sims said, according to Ocala.com.
Rainbow Springs is open to the public and acts as a site for a number of family activities, including picnics and swimming. It may be concerning to some that asbestos is still being used in locations that are accessible to children and could increase their chances of developing mesothelioma later in life.