Having a website is easy; driving traffic can be difficult and few manage to generate consistent amounts of traffic. Do not make the mistake and stop at website creation. Remember search engines index and rank social media much higher than a start up website. Use those tools to help your personal website in search.
When asked about the best source of traffic, the majority of social media marketing "guru's" said Twitter is the best source of traffic.
But you can't drive traffic by just having a Twitter account and tweeting once in a while only. Here are the some of the best practices to become a Twitter power user.
- Complete your profile
- Use a good profile picture
- Tweet at least 5 to 10 times a day until you find your own sweet spot
- Use links in your tweets
- Use different type of content in your tweets like quotes, links, pictures etc.
- Consistent tweeting matters
- If you are tweeting regarding an event use a # tag
- Give credits whenever possible by adding a user's Twitter handle
- Use Twitter's search to find questions regarding your niche and answer them
- Twitter is a conversion; connect with like minded people using @ replies
- Don't over promote yourself, most recommend using a 1:9 ratio
- Ask questions
- Use tools like www.wefollow.com to find new followers
- Engage with people; more engagement more followers
- Promote your Twitter account on your blog, website and other social networks
- Follow Twitter power users in your niche and learn the best practices
- Retweet other people; every one likes to be pampered
There are plenty of tools and apps to enhance your Twitter experience; I like Hootsuite and Buffer.
What is your best source of social media marketing traffic?
Please let us know?
Mike Sweeney and Tyler Trimbath