keyboard_arrow_up

Local family has close call with carbon monoxide poisoning

Local family has close call with carbon monoxide poisoning

(Jackson, Wyo.) - "Twas the night after Christmas and all through the house, nothing was stirring, not even a mouse. Until an alarm started to sound..." Kathy Clay, the Battalion Chief Fire Marshal for Jackson Hole Fire and EMS recounts a close call that a local family had with carbon monoxide poisoning. "Last early Sunday morning (officially, the day after the day after Christmas), a family of six evacuated a home on Wilderness Drive after notifying Teton Sheriff Dispatch. Fortunately, on that very cold early morning (temperatures in the range of -20 degrees), a warm guest house was available," she said. "As the assigned and responsible Duty Officer for Jackson Hole Fire/EMS, I responded with my gas meter to the address. Not far into the abandoned home, my gas detector began to alarm. The family had been exposed to carbon monoxide," Clay added. Clay said that all precautions were taken. None of the exposed had any symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure – headache, dizziness, and nausea were all denied. "The 9-month-old baby was bouncy and happy," said Clay. "Still, those exposed were evaluated at the emergency room. Fortunately, they suffered no physical injury from their short exposure." Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Without a detector, one does not know when the deadly gas may be seeping into the home. Any home with a fuel-burning appliance should ensure a carbon monoxide detector is present on all levels of the structure. Is exposure to carbon monoxide your highest risk in your home? Statistically, no. According to the Centers for Disease Control, about 430 people die from Carbon monoxide poisoning per year. Since the first of this year, 2270 people have died in residential structure fires. "Think about your smoke alarms and how important these alarms are to the safety of your family," Clay added. "Teton County has witnessed several cases of carbon monoxide poisonings and deaths. In the hope that we all can become more educated on this deadly gas, I have a 20 minute educational talk which I invite any group of six or more to request. Please help me help you avoid this preventable risk." Those who are interested in scheduling an educational talk about carbon monoxide can contact Kathy Clay at kclay@tetonwyo.org or 307-733-4732. *Feature Photo: Photo by Leena Robinson / Shutterstock / Pitchengine Communities* #buckrail #news