keyboard_arrow_up

Electric heater malfunction causes structure fire north of town

Electric heater malfunction causes structure fire north of town

(Jackson, Wyo.) - Jackson Hole Fire/EMS was dispatched to a structure fire north of town last Wednesday morning. Despite heavy snow conditions, crews arrived on scene to discover an overheated heater and a sprinkler head that deployed. Chief Mike Moyer, Incident Command, and fire crews turned off the fire sprinkler system once it was determined that there was no remaining fire. Water and fire damage was minimal. “The fire sprinkler system did exactly what it was designed to do,” noted Fire Marshal Kathy Clay who performed the fire investigation. “An electric heater malfunctioned and the sprinkler head nearby got hot enough to deploy, cool down surfaces, and prevent fire extension,” she explained. Clay noted only the one sprinkler head deployed. Access to the structure was compromised due to heavy snow conditions, a narrow driveway, and high snow banks. Clay reminds valley homeowners to keep driveways plowed open for emergency access during the winter season. *Feature Photo: Photo of an electric heater. h/t timlewisnm / Pitchengine Communities* #buckrail #news