Fire heavily damages Riverton home; Motorist ran over firefighter's water supply line

A home in the 800 block of North Broadway received extensive interior fire and smoke damage Sunday night after an accidental fire broke out in the kitchen, said Riverton Fire Department Chief Scott Walters Monday morning. The fire was reported at 7:59 p.m. Sunday night. [image: Inline image 1] *Photo by Kathy Matoon / Pitchengine Communities* "Apparently the three people who occupied the home had been cooking and left for a Super Bowl Party. The fire started around the electric cook stove in the kitchen," Walters said. Unfortunately, three dogs perished in the fire, two in kennels and one was found under a bed, the Chief said. The American Red Cross was notified of the fire and are in contact with the family to make arrangements for alternate housing. [image: Inline image 2] *Photo by Kathy Matoon / Pitchengine Communities* A motorist driving by the fire scene nearly created a critical issue when they ran over a water supply line when firefighters were inside the burning structure. The RFD posted this notice on their Facebook page this morning: "I would like to take this opportunity to help educate everyone on why you do not drive over a fire hose. Last night after responding to a call, we had water supply line from a fire hydrant to our Engine company. We were preparing to charge the line, while we had crews inside a burning structure, when someone decided to drive over our supply line. Please do not do this! We had to stop operations and check the supply line for damage so we could charge the line. When fighting fire, one of our life lines is water. We can carry a limited amount of water on each truck, and when you run over our supply lines you are risking the lives of all the firemen inside that structure. Luckily the supply line was not damaged and we were able to proceed. If you see a fire hose, please think twice about driving over it. It ends badly for everyone involved." An engine company, a truck company and a rescue company plus two command vehicles responded to the fire call with a total of 18 personnel. "We had a very good turnout and responded in just a few minutes," he said. *Feature Photo: The home at 832 North Broadway this morning was surrounded in yellow tape. Evidence of the extensive smoke damage is visible on the front and side of the structure. The cause was ruled accidental and started near a cook stove. (Pitchengine Communities) *