(Gillette, Wyo.) - Around 1:30 a.m. on Monday, December 14 a fire broke out at the apartment complex located at 1025 Church Street. Read our initial report here.
Campbell County Fire Chief Bill Shank said "thankfully there were no
injuries from the fire, however around 24 individuals including several
dogs, cats and snakes were initially displaced from their home."
American Red Cross Disaster Program Manager for Wyoming, Cindi Shank, added
that all but one family has been allowed back into their apartment. The
family who is still displaced as of Tuesday afternoon lives in the
apartment closest to point of origin of the fire. In the meantime, they
will be staying with extended family.
Fire Chief Bill Shank wanted to remind the community of some very important
preventative measures folks should be considering especially this time of
- Keep your chimney clean throughout the winter season.
- Do not put ashes on wooden decks or in paper bags.
- Check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure
they are functioning properly.
- Be careful with candles. Never let candles burn through the night.
- If you have a live Christmas tree in your home, keep it adequately
*Feature photo: Campbell County Fire Department facebook page / Pitchengine