keyboard_arrow_up

Grease Fire Causes Apartment Evacuation, Leads to Arrest

On Wednesday night at around 7 p.m., the Gillette police department arrived at an apartment building on East Boxelder Road. 40 year old Shawn Miller's apartment on the second floor had smoke coming out of it, and allegedly he had been yelling "FIRE!" But when officers arrived, he refused to answer door, saying he had it all under control. Officers breached the door and Miller came running out. There was thick smoke in the residence and a fire on the stove top. Miller said he had been cooking burgers and fell asleep. That's when the flames moved to the kitchen sink, igniting a grease fire. Miller was arrested by GPD for several outstanding warrants, but was also cited for breach of peace and public intoxication -- his 44th public intoxication citation. Gillette Police also helped evacuate the other residents of the apartment building while the fire department made sure the fire was extinguished. Miller was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation treatment before being transported to detention. There was minimal damage to the building. A reminder to never put out a grease fire with water. Always keep baking soda on hand for kitchen emergencies, and a lid when possible, to smother any flames. The best advice in a fire is to get out as soon as you can. The best prevention, however, is to not step away from the kitchen while you're fixing dinner. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, unattended cooking is the *number one* cause of house fires. #county17 #news *Feature photo: Stock photography of a grease fire provided by State Farm Insurance.* -- *Brenda Kirk* Community Maven for County17.com brenda@pitchengine.com | 614.940.7121 Twitter | Instagram | Facebook PitchEngine™ | *Connecting Communities*http://pitchengine.com | Twitter | Facebook