Reminder About Open Burning in Campbell County

(Gillette, Wyo.) While Crook County has already put a ban in place on certain types of open burning and fireworks use, Campbell County has not. However, the wildfire currently burning on Highway 59 is a reminder that grass fires can get out of control if weather conditions aren't right. Currently in city limits, there are no restrictions on burning leaves, trash, or anything else in a fire pit or bonfire on your property. If you plan on doing an open burn on dead grass, the Campbell County Fire Department asks that you first contact the Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality at 307-673-9337, in order to see if you need them to provide you with a permit. Also contact the Sheriff's Office to let them know you plan on a burn: 307-682-7271. Chris Jones of the Riverton National Weather Service notes that federal and state land management agencies routinely obtain weather forecasts from the NWS, and that the general public should do the same. The Rapid City NWS office can be contacted 24 hours a day by phone at 1-605-341-9271. Area-specific forecasts are also available online at or on smart phones at . Highway conditions and remote weather information are available at For small-scale burns, consult with the DEQ's website on their suggested procedure. They recommend burning in the morning hours after sunrise, so that smoke from the fire can be blown away during afternoon winds. For large-scale burns, you must apply to the DEQ for a permit. This applies to wildland, rangeland, and agricultural lands regardless of ownership or the purpose of the fire (vegetative residue disposal, hazard reduction, ecosystem health, etc.), or vegetation type (grass, shrubs, forest, crops, etc.). The DEQ will help you determine which sort of Smoke Management permit is necessary, depending on how much you're burning. Be safe and smart! #county17 #news