Could You Be Paying More to See Devils Tower Next Year?

(Devils Tower, Wyo.) Devils Tower National Monument is thinking about raising their entrance fees next year. The rate hike would also affect the fee for campsites at the Belle Fourche River Campground. The current fee of $10 a vehicle has been in place since 2008. The proposed increase would see that fee raised $5 to $15 per car, and $30 for an annual pass. Prices would remain unchanged for the "America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational" passes, which are $80, and Senior passes, which are $10. Military passes will remain free. [image: passes.png] The National Park Service reports that 80% of the money collected at Devils Tower stay at the monument for critical visitor related projects and services. The other 20% is distributed to national parks that do not collect fees. The monument also proposes to increase the site fee at the Belle Fourche River Campground from $12 to $20 a night, and charge a flat rate of $30 a night for group sites. [image: camps.png] "We understand that no one likes fee increases, but this fee revenue is critical in funding visitor services, resource protection, public safety, projects and facility improvement," said Superintendent Tim Reid. "We ask for the public's support in taking this step in preserving a quality visitor experience at Devils Tower." A public meeting will be held Wednesday, July 20th, from 6-8 p.m. at the Town Hall in Hulett. (401 Sager Street) A second public meeting will be held Thursday July 21, from 6-8 p.m. at the Crook County Courthouse Community Room (Basement Meeting Room) in Sundance. Comments on the proposed fee increases can be submitted online here , in person, or by mail at Devils Tower National Monument. (Send to: P. O. Box 10, Devils Tower, WY 82712.) Comments must be received or postmarked by midnight, August 4, 2016. Comments will not be accepted by phone or email. Devils Tower National Monument had over 478,000 visitors in 2015 . That contributed $29,889,500 to the communities surrounding the park. It also supported 477 jobs related to tourism. #county17 #news