(Sheridan, Wyo.) — Sheridan Commercial — one of Sheridan’s oldest businesses — burned in 1915. Originally formed in 1892, the wood building was built in 1887 by Edward A. Whitney with a 1902 addition, according to the Downtown Sheridan Association
“The site contained a general store, with products ranging from groceries
to hardware, even including its own butcher in the rear of the building.
The upstairs contained rented rooms,” the DSA’s Walking Tour reads.
The original building burned down in 1915, according to the Sheridan County
Museum and Historical Society .
Here, this photo from the Gwinn Collection at the Sheridan County Museum
shows the blaze.
According to the DSA, the Sheridan Post reported: “It was one of the most
spectacular daytime fires that ever occurred in Sheridan and was witnessed
by thousands of people who crowded in the street in all directions. Luckily
there was but a small breeze, else several other buildings in the wholesale
district might have gone with the Commercial.”
John B. Kendrick rebuilt the building still used today along Broadway in
Sheridan. The new building features a “K” in frieze, like several other
[image: dally 7.png][image: dally 8.jpg]
*h/t Downtown Sheridan Association/PItchengine.co/communities*