Halloween drive-by suspect bound over to District Court for trial

(Sheridan, Wyo.) — Sheridan County Circuit Court Judge Shelly Cundiff found there is probable cause to send Todd I. Faass, charged with second degree attempted murder, to Sheridan District Court for a jury trial at a preliminary hearing today. Faass, 49, is charged with attempted second degree murder in connection with a drive-by shooting on Hwy 335 near Big Horn around 10:30 p.m. on Halloween. The State of Wyoming alleges Faass was driving on Hwy 335 when he shot 18-year-old Tyler Lindberg in what appears to be a case of road rage. In testimony at a preliminary hearing in Circuit Court today, Mike Gale of the Sheridan County Sheriff's Office said that a bullet found in the victim's vehicle, a casing found in Faass's vehicle and a gun collected with a search warrant in a trailer belonging to Faass are in Cheyenne for analysis. Preliminary reports from a state lab in Cheyenne show the bullet and casing match the gun, Gale said. At a previous court hearing, Faass's cash bond was set at $75,000. Defense for Faass today argued that he be released on a cash surety bond based on a limited criminal history, but Cundiff denied the request. According to Gale's testimony and a State affidavit , Sheridan County Sheriff's deputies responded to a 911 call at approximately 10:37 p.m. from a passenger in Lindberg's vehicle. Gale said that Lindberg momentarily lost control of his vehicle after being shot. "When he first got shot, he swerved, he lost control of his vehicle and then pulled over," Gale said. A passenger told 911 dispatchers that Lindberg had been shot by an unidentified driver in a passing vehicle. Descriptions of a dirty, damaged, dark-colored Nissan pickup were given by multiple witnesses in the area, and a similar vehicle was seen on Red Grade trail camera footage at 10:15 p.m. Oct. 31 given to the Sheriff's Office by the Sheridan Community Land Trust. Faass was the "first name" listed when the Sheriff's Office searched it's system for a vehicle like the one described and seen in the video, Gale said. The vehicle was spotted days later, in the early morning hours of Nov. 3, at the Holiday South convenience store by Sheridan police. An officer pulled Faass over, questioned him, released him and officers returned to his residence with a search warrant later that morning. They found three pistols and seized various amounts of ammunition, including for a .45 long colt firearm, and arrested Faass. The defendant said he was home at the time of the incident, but his mother, who lived on the same property with him, could not say whether he was home or not. His son told investigators that Faass was home around 9:30 or 10 p.m. on Oct. 31, but Gale said it takes approximately five minutes to drive from Faass's home to the site of the shooting. After today's appearance, Faass will face a jury trial in Fourth Judicial District Court. The penalty for second degree murder is not less than 20 years in prison and a fine of not more than $10,000. *Todd I. Faass / h/t Sheridan County Sheriff's Office* #dally #news