Did you know? Clearmont Jail is on the National Register of Historic Places

(Clearmont, Wyo.) — Here in Sheridan County, we are surrounded by incredible history and amazing places. A search of Wyoming State Historic records tells us just how steeped in Western history we are. The Town of Clearmont, population 142, was founded in 1892 by the Burlington Missouri Railroad. Clearmont was later incorporated as a town in 1919. [image: Inline image 1] *Pitchengine Communities Photo* In 1919, developers of an agricultural business called the Leiter Company asked the Clearmont Town Council to authorize construction of a jail. Due to a growing population, town officials had become concerned about law enforcement, according to the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office. The Town Council funded the construction of the jail in 1922. The Clearmont Jail is a solid steel and concrete structure with walls five and one-half inches thick. The jail was used frequently through the 1950s. It was thought that the jail was an effective deterrent to crime because it did not have any modern facilities. Prisoners were taken to a cafe to eat, and back at the jail they were given a can to serve as a toilet. According to the state, it was used for the last time in 1961. [image: Inline image 2] *Pitchengine Communities Photo* [image: Inline image 3] *Pitchengine Communities Photo* *Feature photo Pitchengine Communities* #dally #news