(Sheridan, Wyo.) — When the Eaton brothers came to the Sheridan area at the turn of the 20th Century, "They found that tourism had already reached the towns of Dayton, Ranchester, Sheridan, Big Horn, Story, and Buffalo, in the form of seasonal hunters lodging at some of the local ranches and summer guests staying at the Sheridan Inn," according to the Annals of Wyoming
But none of these ranches were considered full dude ranches, and Eaton's
Ranch , which still stands in Wolf as a fully
operational dude ranch, was established in 1904.
1929 was considered the "peak year" for dude ranches in the Sheridan area,
the Annals say.
Here, you can see William Alden “Big Bill” Eaton, the son of Alden and Mary
Eaton, atop his horse.
Big Bill grew up working at Eaton’s, especially managing the corral and
horse operation. This photo, courtesy of the Sheridan County Historical
Society and Museum , was taken by Harold
Hayward at the 1947 PK Rodeo.
*Feature photo: William Alden “Big Bill” Eaton, photographed by Harold
Hayward at the 1947 PK Rodeo. h/t Sheridan County Historical Society and
Museum / Pitchengine Communities*