$20,000 cash only bond for men arraigned in Beaver Creek incident

(Sheridan, Wyo.) — Dylan James Dygert, 21, and Jacob Robert Olson, 26, both of Sheridan, were arraigned on charges of aggravated assault and battery in Sheridan County Circuit Court today. The charges stem from an incident May 8, when the Sheridan Police Department received information regarding an alleged assault in the alley west of the Beaver Creek Saloon. Dygert is in jail on a probation revocation charge for 180 days because he was not supposed to be in an alcohol establishment on May 8, and previously told the court that he was not in the bar that day. Surveillance video showed him in the bar May 8, Judge Shelley Cundiff said. Olson has faced charges in Johnson, Sheridan and Big Horn counties on domestic violence, interference, possession of controlled substances, larceny and driving violations. "This is his history, as far as what we know," Sheridan County prosecuting attorney Dianna Bennett said. "This was a very aggravated case ... we consider him a threat to the victim and the victim's family." The men have also shown in the past that they do not abide by their bond requirements, Bennett said. If either makes bond, Cundiff ordered that neither would have contact with the victim or victim's family, use alcohol or enter alcohol establishments. According to an affidavit of probable cause, a surveillance video from around 2 a.m. May 8 of the Beaver Creek Saloon shows the two men, an unidentified male and the victim arguing at the end of the bar. The victim advised the detectives that he had been in an argument with the men over a racial mark made by Olson. At 2:12 a.m., the three men left the bar. Surveillance video shows the victim walking away from Olson and Dygert down the alley toward Brundage Street. Olson then ran down the alley while Dygert remained at the corner of the Elks Lodge, before quickly walking down the alley too. At this point, the three men were out of the surveillance frame. At about 2:22 a.m., the victim again comes into view, and was "having trouble maintaining his balance and standing still," according to the affidavit. He then lost his balance and fell against a nearby wall. Dygert was detained in jail on May 10 on an unrelated case, and advised the detectives that he had been in a fight with a black man. He said he and Olson were "forced to defend themselves." He admitted that he and Olson both punched the victim while he was laying on the ground. They continued until they heard a voice say, "hey," at which time they ran away. Sheridan Police Detective Jerome Smith saw what appeared to be blood on Dygert's shoes, and indications that attempts had been made to clear blood from the shoes. An unidentified witness at a different scene after the occurrence reported hearing Olson talking on his cell phone to someone he called "mom." The witness reported that Olson said he "hurt someone and thought that person might be dead." The witness said Olson used the word kill multiple times. Olson "insisted he acted in self-defense," according to the affidavit. The male victim sustained a fractured left eye facial bone, which requires surgery, and had to get staples in his head in more than one location, according to court documents. Cash only bonds for both were set at $20,000. Both said they would need a court appointed attorney. Aggravated assault and battery is a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than ten years. Both men were arrested Thursday. #dally #news