5 reasons you won't want to miss the NYC Ballet dancers in Jackson this weekend
(Jackson, Wyo.) - This weekend, Jackson Hole residents and visitors have the unique opportunity to experience the dancers of New York City Ballet.
Dancers' Workshop presents Stars of American Ballet, featuring dancers from New York City Ballet. Performances include the Fundraising Gala Evening with Stars of American Ballet tonight and shows on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Haven't gotten your tickets yet? Here are five reasons to head to the ballet this weekend:
1. Experience the majesty of NYC Ballet dancers in your own backyard: In Jackson Hole, we are lucky enough to be a destination for delicious restaurants, popular music and beautiful art, and this weekend is no exception. 10 dancers from New York City Ballet will give three special performances in Jackson that you won't want to miss.
2. It only happens once a year: Unless you travel to New York, you only have one chance per year to see the artistry, beauty and strength of dancers from New York City Ballet. This is the 7th year that the dancers of New York City Ballet have come to Jackson - this year in a unique, new format titled Stars of American Ballet, founded and directed by NYCB Principal dancer Daniel Ulbricbht. Don’t miss out!
3. Ballet is a great experience for kids: The performance incorporates culture, art, history and storytelling that can engage and inspire your child in every aspect of their lives. According to the National Endowment for the Arts, "A number of research studies over the past several decades have drawn a clear correlation between early exposure of children to the arts and increased long-term critical reasoning, communication, and social skills."
4. You will see ballet pieces never shown before in Wyoming: The show will feature five female and five male dancers performing pieces that have never been seen before in Wyoming like Justin Peck’s Sea Change and Distractions, as well as Balanchine’s Tarantella, Stars and Stripes, and Who Cares?
5. Support Dancers' Workshop: Dancers' Workshop offers excellence and diversity in dance experiences through education, performance and outreach for all ages in Teton County. More than that, Dancers' Workshop regularly does outreach programs to promote dance, art and movement throughout the state. Attending events like the Stars of American Ballet directly supports Dancers' Workshop.
Tonight (Thursday, August 18), Dancers' Workshop will host a Fundraising Gala Evening with Stars of American Ballet. The annual Fundraising Gala will include a performance and dinner in one fabulous evening hosted by Barbara and John Vogelstein. Purchase Gala tickets here before they sell out.
Performances will be on Friday, August 19 at 8 p.m. and Saturday, August 20 at 2 p.m. Purchase tickets here.
There will also be a free open rehearsal tomorrow (Friday, August 19 at 1 p.m.) in The Center Theater, which is free and open to the public. More information on open rehearsals is available here.