How To Migrate Files To Your New Cloud Service Without Interrupting Users
Are you looking forward to migrate from your existing cloud service into a new one? Then you must be looking for a convenient method to do it without interrupting the existing users. Otherwise, your users will get frustrated because of the downtime that they have to experience.
Some people believe that it is not possible to transfer files into a new cloud service, without having a downtime. This fact is not true at all. There are some efficient and effective methods available for you to try out and end up with positive results. You just need to get to know about those methods.
Why do you need to migrate files to the new cloud service?
First of all, let’s take a look at why you need to migrate your files to the new cloud service. Then you will be able to determine whether going through this hassle is worth it or not. Migrating to a cloud service has the ability to deliver a large number of benefits to you. The ability to improve company wide efficiency can be considered as the most prominent benefit out of them. Your employees must have been complaining about the lack of a shared drive, where they can share files with colleagues in an efficient manner. The new cloud service will be in a position to provide that to you. It will cater most of the growing needs of your business as well. In fact, it will introduce a complete change to the file sync and sharing system of your business.
Defining the migration plan
Now you are aware of why you should migrate the files to your new cloud service. Below mentioned are the steps that you should follow in order to complete the migration process without interrupting your users.
· Plan ahead of the migration – It is extremely important for you to plan well ahead of your migration. In fact, it is recommended for you to plan around two months ahead of your move. You can define a date for the migration after two months and plan the below mentioned steps accordingly. Then you will be providing assistance for all the users to get rid of unforeseen circumstances. The users should be kept updated about the process throughout. When you are selecting a day for the migration, it is always better to go for a date with a low usage period. A holiday would be ideal because it can create the least impact on productivity.
· Let users know about the schedule – About one month ahead of the selected date, you will need to release the schedule of events that will take place. During this step, you should also think about creating user accounts for your employees in the new cloud. Then a proper training needs to be provided for all the employees on full scale migration. This will help the users to stay prepared for the migration. As a result, you will be able to keep them away from frustration.
· Making the big announcement – If you are planning to move to the new cloud service on Friday, you will have to make the final announcement on Monday. In the meantime, you can also get started with the bulk migration of appropriate folder trees and drives. On the following few days, you will be able to keep on syncing your files. This includes the bulk transfer activities as well. Along with that, you can send emails to all the users about the latest developments and ongoing activities. You will have to provide training to the users as well.
· Starting the migration – Now you have arrived at Friday and you are ready for the migration. You should send one last reminder to the users and transform the existing network into a read only resource. Then no user will be able to modify it. Hence, you will be able to go forward with the final file synchronization process.
· Test throughout the weekend – After the migration takes place on Friday, you are encouraged to test throughout the weekend. Since you are doing it on a weekend, no major impact will be created on the users. After the testing, you need to make sure that everything is working fine and the users don’t have any issues when they are accessing the system.
· Monitor the users on Monday – On Monday, users will get back to work and they will start using the new system. While they do it, you will have to monitor all of them thoroughly. You should also be ready to receive a lot of emails and phone calls throughout the day. Anxious users will tend to get in touch with you before they do something.
· Activities to do on the following week – After a hectic Monday, you can continue with syncing all the changes that you have done to the cloud service provider with the local system. You should also monitor the usage carefully. In addition, you need to remind all users that they need to start using the new system instead of the old one.
Now you have a clear understanding about the steps you need to take while migrating your files to the new cloud service. If you can follow these steps, you will be able to get the job done without interrupting your users. Hence, the process will be a smooth and a convenient one for you.
You must also keep in mind that it is important to notify your users along with time. When they are getting regular updates, they will tend to prepare from their sides for the migration. Then you will be able to go for the smoothest transition, without creating any impact on the users. While your users provide that kind of a support, you will need to take appropriate steps to make the migration process self-contained and straightforward as much as possible. If you need additional information about migration, you can click here.