Medical gloves are disposable gloves used during medical examinations and procedures that help prevent cross-contamination between caregivers and patients. Medical gloves are made of different polymers including latex, nitrile rubber, vinyl and neoprene.
The coefficient of friction (hereinafter referred to as “COF”) of the medical gloves should meet special requirements for clinical operation. To be specific, the COF of the internal surface of medical gloves should be relatively low so that it can be easy to wear and the internal surface will not stick together. On the other hand, the COF of external surface of medical gloves should be relatively high so that the operator can grip the medical apparatus by wearing medical gloves. Therefore, it is significant to select the medical gloves with suitable COF for the operators.
This article provides a simplified COF test method of medical gloves for your reference. The testing instrument used for the tests is Labthink’s MXD-02 Coefficient of Friction Tester. The internal surface of medical gloves was tested in the tests mentioned hereinafter.
The tests can be performed according to the following procedures.
(1) Cut 8cm by 20cm and 100mm by 63mm specimens from the sample material, 3 pieces for each size. Divide those specimens into 3 groups. Do not touch the testing surface of the specimen with hand during specimen preparation.
(2) Take one 8cm by 20cm specimen and fix it on the test plane with the internal surface facing upward. Take one 100mm by 63mm specimen and wrap it on the sled with the internal surface facing outside. Do not touch the testing surface of the specimens during the operation.
(3) Place the sled on the specimen on the test plane gently.
(4) Set test speed, stroke and other test parameters. Start test. The two specimens keep still for 15 seconds before they move in opposite directions.
(5) The system will record the force value automatically during the testing process and calculate the static coefficient of friction and kinetic coefficient of friction.
(6) Repeat step 2 to 5 until all the 3 groups of specimen tests are finished.
About Labthink Instruments Co., Ltd:
Labthink Instruments Co., Ltd is one leading supplier of packaging testing instruments, which is headquartered in Jinan, China and operated in Boston, U.S.A.