IVF…. this is a very common word in the world of infertility. It is a word which describes a treatment which has brought smiles on the faces of many depressed couples who have been trying their level best to conceive. Here, today we will know what is IVF and its procedure and who and what are the circumstances when IVF treatment is given in the various IVF Clinic in India.
First and foremost let us basically know where IVF treatment is applicable:
IVF is the short form of in-vitro fertilization. The normal and natural method of conceiving are when the sperm of a man come together with the egg of the woman in her fallopian tube. The sperm penetrates the egg and fertilizes it. The fertilized egg then travels back to the uterus where the fetus is formed and the mother, after carrying it for a little more than nine months under normal circumstances, delivers the baby.
But there are many reasons why such a normal phenomenon does not take place and couples are forced to take the unnatural path to get pregnant. If you are a couple who is desperately trying to conceive and following are the problems and causes of infertility then you could very well benefit from the IVF a Female Infertility treatment:
- Women who have a blockage in their fallopian tubes because of which the eggs are not able to reach the sperms.
- When the male has a low and poor sperm count. Sometimes the sperm count can be absolutely zero.
- Women diagnosed with endometriosis, a form of illness in women where the uterine lining is seen growing outside the uterus and in turn affects the fallopian tubes.
- Ovulation problems in women like poor quality eggs, or wherein the ovary is not able to produce eggs regularly for release or any other ovarian problems.
- Women and men who have undergone chemotherapy or radiation of any kind can take the aid of this treatment to conceive.
Having said the above let us understand the procedure of IVF:
As we said earlier IVF mean in-vitro fertilization, wherein in-vitro means in a dish. This is a procedure where the fertilization of the egg by the sperm happens in a laboratory. Here, the eggs of the woman are taken doing a small surgery. They are then mixed with the healthy sperms of the man in the lab in a dish. Once the doctors confirm the fertilization, the embryo is transferred to the womb or the uterus of the mother. In some special cases, the doctors wait for the embryo to reach the blastocyst stage which takes place at around five days after the fertilization that is because the chances of pregnancy seeing full term increases by doing so.
The success rate of this treatment varies from person to person. It also depends on upon your age when you opt for this treatment. The lower the age, higher are the chances of a successful pregnancy. But it is always advisable to maintain a healthy lifestyle and a healthier diet without drinking and smoking and also avoiding stress and tension as much as possible.