Cycling hit and run victim speaks out at driver's sentencing

(Casper, Wyo.) - "I was riding my bike to work. I remember getting hit and then waking up in a hospital 14 days later," said cycling hit and run victim Anthony Raymond this morning during the sentencing hearing for the driver responsible for the crash. "I had a broken neck, many pins and screws, and I was blind on one side and numerous scars. It boggles my mind how someone could do this to me, or to anyone and just leave the scene, and leave me for dead. I was a mess." Raymond was riding his bike to work. He was in great physical shape as an amateur body builder. On June 10th 2015, Raymond's life was changed forever by a man who struck him with his vehicle and fled the scene. "Since the accident, I have lost my job, I am in constant pain, I experienced severe head trauma and cannot think clearly. I lost weight and my wife divorced me. I can't use my arms, and I can barely walk. My baby, my $4,500 mountain bike, was torn up," said Raymond at the the sentencing hearing for the culprit. Raymond under went numerous surgeries and doctors we surprised to see him walk. "I surprised them all that I was able to walk; it was hard, and it took lots of time but I did it," Raymond stood bodily as he spoke to the Judge. 25-year-old Michael Carpenter previously pleaded guilty to three charges: reckless driving, driving while under suspension, and fleeing the scene of an accident. Today, he was sentenced to serve two years in the Wyoming State Penitentiary, to run consecutive with his previous sentence for shoplifting, trespassing and battery on a Wal-Mart employee. The state imposed the two year sentence followed by another two years of probation and commented: "The victim of his actions was an innocent productive member of society. The defendant has shown no remorse for anybody but himself ,and he has failed to take responsibility for his actions. The victim's life has been completely ruined because of this." Carpenter was also previously arrested and convicted of stealing drugs out of an ambulance in August of 2014. He was ordered to pay $5,000 in restitution. Raymond's friend and care taker, Sandy Waterfield also spoke at the sentencing to aid Mr. Raymond and commented, "I don't know if he is ever going to be the same person. He is totally dependent on others." The defendant's attorney said, "This is clearly a tragic event." Carpenter declined to make a statement with regard to his actions. Click the link to read more about this Case . #oilcity #news