Here's how not to catch your tree on fire

Don't make this Christmas a tragedy with a house fire from your Christmas tree! We spoke with Casper Fire/EMS Fire Captain Justin Smith who provided us with some helpful tips to avoid destruction this Christmas. "When you pick out a tree, please be sure to first cut off about two inches off the base of the tree to allow it to absorb fresh water and continue to live. Remember that one in every three homes a Christmas tree fire is caused by electrical problems." Here are 10 safety tips to take care of your tree and your home: 1. Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched. 2. Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat sources, like fireplaces, radiators, candles and lights. 3. Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit. 4. Make sure the tree is not blocking window. 5. Add water daily to the tree in the tree stand. 6. Use lights that are for indoor use only. 7. Replace any strings of lights with worn out or broken cords. 8. Read manufactures instructions to connect strands of lights. 9. Never use lit candles to decorate your tree. 10. Always turn off Christmas light before leaving the house or going to bed. Smith also advised that you get rid of the tree soon after the holiday before it dries out and causes a house fire. Feature Photo: Shutterstock #oilcity #headsup #news