keyboard_arrow_up

Casper Fire/ EMS responded to the Casper Family YMCA for a chlorine gas leak

(Casper, Wyo.) - Casper Fire Public Information Officer Andrew Sundale reported that fire crews responded to the Casper Family YMCA at approximately 4:30 am when an employee at the YMCA reported a chlorine gas leak. Sundale told us that the chlorine tablets that are used for the pool are highly toxic when they touch water. It is unknown how the tablets touched water but when they did it, it created a toxic chlorine gas. The employee switched on the ventilation system and evacuated the building along with a few other employees. Casper fire and the Hazmat team from Station 6 arrived on scene and secured the premises. They entered the building in Hazmat suits and learned that the ventilation system had cleared the gas and the reaction had ended. Fire and Hazmat teams had the scene secured at around 6:30 am this morning and the YMCA is now open and back to regular activity. #oilcity #news