keyboard_arrow_up

Bad extension cord almost causes house fire

Bad extension cord almost causes house fire

Casper Fire-EMS this afternoon almost had a burned down trailer house on their hands. But luckily the smoking extension cord was put out before major property damage could occur. The call came in as a structure fire at about 3:15 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke coming from under a trailer home on the 1100 block of North Wolcott. Further investigation revealed a blackened extension cord that was the source of the smoke, Casper Fire's Justin Smith said in a news release. No one was injured and property damage was limited to the immediate area. The occupants of the home were allowed to return to the home once the investigation was completed. "Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis and should not be used if damaged," Smith added. "Cords should never pass through doors, windows, walls, or ceilings as this can damage them causing overheating or shorts. Surge protectors with circuit breakers installed can provide increased protection as an alternative. Be careful not to use cords intended for indoor use outdoors, and remember when using cords outdoors that water and electricity are a potentially deadly mix." #oilcity #news