keyboard_arrow_up

Fire crews knocked down afternoon structure fire

At approximately 1:40 pm today the Casper Fire-EMS department was dispatched to a reported structure fire at 1250 North Center. Upon arrival crews found a single wide mobile home with heavy smoke and fire. The occupant had already self evacuated. Crews were able to quickly attack and extinguish the fire. They also performed search and rescue as a pre-caution to ensure the home was clear of victims. The single occupant self evacuated with his pet prior to Fire Department arrival. The occupant suffered some minor burns. He was treated on scene and refused transport to the hospital. The mobile home is expected to be a total lose with heavy smoke damage through out and major fire damage to the kitchen and living room. An estimated value has not been determined. The City/County Burn Fund and the American Red Cross were able to donate to the occupant and supply temporary relief and housing. The cause of the fire was found to be accidental. The occupant was working on a small scooter engine inside the home; fuel began leaking from the engine and the fumes from the fuel eventually came in contact with the pilot light on the gas stove, which ignited the fuel and started the fire. The Casper Fire-EMS Department would like to take this opportunity to advise everyone of the dangers of combustible liquids and their fumes. Whenever performing work with or around combustible liquids (such as fuel) always have proper ventilation and make sure there are no ignition sources nearby. The fumes will travel further than you think and you cannot see them do so; be extra cautious. #oilcity #news