Students who are interested in pursuing journalism and nonfiction works as a career have a new opportunity. The American Society of Journalists and Authors, a national professional organization with more than 1,200 members focused on nonfiction, has launched a new Student Affiliate program now open for applications from college juniors and seniors.
ASJA’s members share expertise, ideas, opportunities, and inside information critical to success in a constantly changing media environment. In addition to our national conference held annually in the spring in New York City, our regional chapters offer educational and networking meetings, and we hold regional conferences as well in major cities. The Student Affiliate program brings young people with an interest in professional writing closer to their goals.
Here are the specific benefits to Student Affiliates:
- Receive the ASJA Magazine, our bimonthly publication filled with professional insider information geared strictly to the independent, nonfiction writer.
- Attend monthly teleseminars with industry experts and professional writers at no charge.
- A free 30-minute mentoring session with a professional writer in the student’s area of interest.
- Attend conferences at a student discount rate.
- First-look chance to apply for scholarships that are available for conferences
- Attend regional chapter meetings at no cost (where available).
- Network with ASJA members -- many of whom are award-winning writers and authors -- and fellow student affiliates.
To qualify as a Student Affiliate a student submits an application at ASJA.org. Students must submit two examples of their writing, which they can do in the application. (Campus publications are accepted but personal blogs are not.) A reference letter from a current professor or an ASJA member who referred the student is also required, and should be e-mailed directly by the professor or referring member to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a fee of $24, which secures Student Affiliate status for 12 months. The affiliate year runs from July 1 to June 30, and the fee is pro-rated monthly—e.g., for joining in November the first year’s fee is $16. A Student Affiliate may then renew affiliate status each year until three years from the student's graduation date, or until he or she meets the requirements to become a full member of ASJA.
If you have additional questions regarding the Student Affiliate program, please contact Echo Garrett at email@example.com.