This report provides an overview of the UK Dairy Food market, analyzing market data, demographic consumption patterns within the category, and the key consumer trends driving consumption. The report highlights innovative new product development for effectively targeting the most pertinent consumer need states and offers strategic recommendations to capitalize on the evolving consumer landscape.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This report gives an overview of the key demographic groups driving consumption in the UK Dairy market, and what their motivations are for doing so. The report adopts a unique method of quantifying consumer trends to highlight the degree of influence they have on consumption within the category. This enables the reader to identify the most important trends within the market and also determine whether beliefs over what influences consumer behavior within the category are accurate.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The maturity of the UK Dairy Food market has caused it to witness static growth in value sales over 2007–2012. This growth rate is set to accelerate over 2012–2017, indicating greater volume consumption in the category compared to previous years due to a growing older population. However, the consumption of value added Dairy products is growing faster as consumers search for additional benefits in Dairy products, such as fortified and nutrient enriched offerings.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Meeting age-specific needs and a search for Better Value for Money are key factors driving change within the UK Dairy market. Consumers look to Dairy products as a key method of meeting age-specific needs, such as calcium to help children’s growing bones, or probiotics to help with older consumers’ digestion. Consumers also seek products that allow them to meet their individual diet needs, both those derived from medical requirements and from personal choice.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of UK Dairy consumers. This is based on Publisher’s unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Dairy sector. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
Key Features and Benefits
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the UK market are identified. The figures showcase the number of Dairy occasions attributed to specific age groups and gender, as well as identifying whether these demographic groups "over" consume in the category (i.e. they account for a higher proportion of occasions than the proportion of society they represent overall).
- Market value and volumes over the period 2007–2017 for the UK and nine other countries across the globe. The UK figures are also broken down into category level to cover volume growth of Milk, Yogurt, Cheese, Butter & Spreadable Fats, Puddings/Desserts, and Cream.
- The report quantifies the degree of influence that the 20 key consumer trends identified by Publisher have on Dairy consumption volumes, with granular analysis on the extent that degree of influences varies between gender and age group.
- The report provides insight to highlight the "so what?" implications behind the data, and analysis of how the need states of consumers within the Dairy category will evolve in the short-to-medium term.
- Examples of international and UK-specific product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
Key Market Issues
- Busier lifestyles and skipping meals will drive demand for smaller on-the-go packaging and impulse purchases, for example drinkable breakfast yogurts.
- Some consumers are avoiding products containing lactose – a sugar found in Milk and Milk products – for digestive reasons.
- Dairy products’ consumption is high among older consumers, and this consumer group will only grow in size. This age group already accounts for almost a third of Dairy occasions.
- Rising competition from Dairy substitutes made from soy will challenge Milk sales, as an increasing number of consumers create personalized nutritional diet plans.
- Rising Dairy prices mean that value-seeking consumers may moderate their consumption. Value for Money is the second most important motivator out of the 20 tracked by Publisher.
- On average, UK men have a higher number of Dairy Food occasions per year than women, mainly driven by the different nutritional needs of teenagers and young adults. This group can be targeted by products that allow men to meet their higher dietary needs, such as products that are higher in protein and calories.
- Manufacturers should consider aligning health-focused products with individual needs, such as allergen or age-related needs or lifestyle choices. For example, lactose-free Milk can be positioned around enabling a more active lifestyle, rather than just being an alternative for milk.
- Dairy Food products such as Puddings, Desserts, and Cream are also on the rise due to their indulgent nature. In addition, Cream is a common cooking ingredient. As economic uncertainty encourages consumers to eat at home more often, the demand for treats and cooking ingredients will increase.
- Despite growing obesity levels, better-for-you health products will remain of limited importance, with consumers instead opting for products with specific nutritional benefits such as those associated with age-specific needs.
- The desire to save money where possible will motivate consumers over the short-to-mid term as they continue to purchase private label and discounter products that they have found to be of a satisfactory quality during their recession spending. Brand loyalty is declining as consumers are more willing to look around for better deals and offers.
Spanning Over 56 pages, “Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the UK Dairy Food Market” report covering the Definitions, Why monitoring consumer trends is important, Market context, Demographic cohort consumption patterns, Consumer trend analysis, Examples of innovative Dairy Food launches, Recommended actions. The report companies covered are - A2, Arla Foods UK, beFast Breakfast, Bio-tiful Dairy Ltd., Bright Dairy and Food Co., Calon Wen Organic Milk Co-op ,Clover Seedburst ,The Collective Great Dairy.
Know more about this report at: http://mrr.cm/ZUT
Find other Food and Beverages Reports at : http://www.marketresearchreports.com/food-beverages
Find other reports on United Kingdom Market at : http://www.marketresearchreports.com/countries/united-kingdom
About Market Research Reports, Inc.
Market Research Reports, Inc. is the world's leading source for market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest market research reports on global markets, key industries, leading companies, new products and latest industry analysis & trends.
For regular industry updates subscribe to our newsletter at: http://www.marketresearchreports.com/subscribe-to-newsletter
Mr. Amitava Sen
General Manager - Sales & Marketing
Market Research Reports, Inc.
Tel USA: +1-302-703-7787
Tel India: +91-80-26860858
Follow us on LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/company/market-research-reports-inc-
For latest market research presentations visit: http://www.marketresearchdocs.com
For latest market research videos visit: http://www.marketresearch.tv
Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/MyMarketReportsFollow us on Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Market.Research.Report