Pioneer Museum takes first historic trek to the oldest standing building in Lander May 23
People interested in Lander’s early history can visit the oldest standing structure in the valley, the Baldwin Trading post on Baldwin Creek built in 1868. The trip is the first of the Lander Pioneer Museum’s historic treks series and is on Saturday May 23 at 10 a.m.
The group will meet at the museum in Lander and car pool the short distance out to Baldwin Creek to visit the site. It is recommended that people interested in the trek, or any other treks this summer, contact the museum to sign up. The treks are free, but in some cases there is a limit on the number of people that can attend.
Major Noyes Baldwin came to Fremont County in 1866 to become a trader with the Shoshone Indians. He originally opened his store in the old Bonneville cabins on the Little Popo Agie near Hudson. In 1868 he built and opened one of the first stores at South Pass City, taking gold dust in exchange for goods. That same year he built a house and store on his property on Baldwin Creek. He used that building as a trading post until 1884, when he built the distinctive red stone building at the corner of third and Main. That building still stands as well, although much changed over the years. It currently houses Old Town Coffee.
The log trading post was donated to the Pioneer Museum in the 1990s. “This is a link to one of the most significant pioneers in Lander,” said museum Visitor Services Coordinator Randy Wise. “It is also the oldest standing building in the area. On the trip people will see inside the building and learn the history of the Baldwin family.”
The treks are sponsored by the Wind River Visitor Council. All three county museums are doing treks to different historic sites around the county. Contact the museum for a complete list. The next trek by the Lander museum will be June 20 to the old gold mining ghost town Miner’s Delight. Call the museum at 332-3373 for more information.
Photo captions: Noyes Baldwin as a young man opened a trading post in the Lander Valley in 1868.