Galveston Island has become a top destination for haunted travel and is host three ghost/cemetery tours and a year-round haunted house. But during the month of October, an optimum time for thrill-seekers to visit, haunted harbor tours, ghost tour dinners and more are on the calendar.
Haunted Travel in Galveston Suggestions:
- Galveston Historical Foundation (GHF) is offering Haunted Harbor Tours aboard the Seagull II on Oct. 23, 24, 25, 29, 30 and 31.
- GHF is offering a new “Tales for The Ship” tour aboard the 1877 Tall Ship ELISSA at Pier 21 on Oct. 30.
- GHS has Ghost Tours at Ashton Villa on Oct. 30 and on Halloween, guests can enjoy a “You’re History” Dinner at the 1859 Ashton Villa as Murder Mystery Texas entertains guests during a scripted dinner event. For information, visit www.galvestonhistory.org. Note: The Seagull II and ELISSA are a short walk from The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand® Hotel, located in the heart of The Strand Historic District.
- Nationally recognized paranormal expert Dash Beardsley leads the Original Ghost Tour on The Strand, which includes a stop at The Tremont House. Other Dash Beardsley tours include Secret Society Cemetery Tour, Restless Spirits Tour, and Jack the Ripper Mystery Island Tour for ghost enthusiasts. For tickets, visit www.ghosttoursofgalvestonisland.com.
- Haunted Mayfield Manor, which is a block away from The Tremont House, is housed in an 1867 building that served as a morgue after the 1900 Storm. For details, visit www.hauntedmayfieldmanor.com.
- Other tour options include Galveston Cemetery Tours, www.galvestoncemeterytours.com, and Galveston Graveyard Tours, www.galvestongraveyardtours.com.
- Hotel Galvez & Spa®, A Wyndham Grand® Hotel and sister property to The Tremont House, is offering a public ghost tour accompanied by a three-course dinner for $40 per person on Wednesdays and Thursdays as well as on Sunday as part of an overnight package. During the one-hour tour, the Hotel Galvez concierge will guide guests through the historic hotel’s ghostly past using popular ghost hunting tools to conduct a paranormal investigation. The “Ghosts of the Galvez” overnight package, which includes the ghost tour and dinner and a deluxe guest room, is offered on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays in October. This year, the hotel has added a special Halloween Night Ghost Package to celebrate the haunted holiday. For reservations, visit www.hotelgalvez.com.
The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand® Hotel, has had its own reports of ghostly activity by guests and employees. Occasionally, guests will post experiences on guest reviews and share with staff but the hotel does not offer a ghost tour at this time.
About The Tremont House
The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand® Hotel, is owned by the Cynthia and George Mitchell family as part of Mitchell Historic Properties. The Tremont House is a 119-room boutique style hotel located in the heart of The Strand National Historic Landmark District and Galveston’s Downtown Cultural Arts District. This historic hotel features 14,000 sq. ft. of meeting space, a bistro-style café, fitness center and two bars for entertainment – the 1888 Toujouse Bar and The Rooftop Bar. For reservations, call (409) 763-0300 or visit www.TheTremontHouse.com.