Malto and his business partners opened the Doughnut Lounge in mid-December, immediately creating fanatics for the shop’s off-the-wall doughnut creations and handcrafted cocktails
Kansas City, Mo. (Feb. 11, 2016) – Sean Malto, known internationally for his skateboarding prowess and a face for Mountain Dew, Skullcandy, and Nike, among others, has teamed up with a group of Kansas City entrepreneurs to open the Doughnut Lounge on Thursday, Dec. 17, 2015. Malto is a Kansas City resident who grew up in nearby Leavenworth, Kansas. The new doughnut shop features a full bar located in Kansas City’s Westport neighborhood, the city’s oldest established community now home to independent eateries, boutiques and retailers. Doughnut Lounge’s service hours are 6:30 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sunday through Tuesday, and 6:30 a.m. – 1 a.m., Thursday through Saturday.
Together with business partners Jake Randall, Paul Janasz, and Ryan Henrich, Malto aimed to create a space that fosters community, conversation and creativity.
The Doughnut Lounge’s unique doughnut menu was created by Executive Chef Tye Eckert who will head the culinary operations. The menu spans three different categories, including Classics, Signatures and Noduts, with each doughnut denoted as yeast, old-fashioned or cake.
All doughnuts are made with ingredients sourced from Kansas City Food Circle, an organization that connects local farmers with local restaurants. Some of the signature flavors include:
- S’more- chocolate ganache glaze, marshmallow fluff, graham cracker crumble
- The Dolly- sheep’s milk custard, root beer glaze, fresh basil
- Apple Fritter- yeast-raised doughnut
- Egg Nog- tres leches doughnut, egg nog glaze
- Maple Bacon- bacon bits, maple glaze
- Caramel Apple- apple cider cake, caramel glaze, sea salt
- Lemon Ricotta- ricotta cake, lemon glaze, blueberry syrup
- Strawberry Mascarpone- strawberry mascarpone filling
- Banana Wafer- banana pudding filling, vanilla wafer
- Red Velvet- cream cheese frosting, pecans
- Berry Cheesecake- cream cheese topping, blackberry syrup, fresh berries
- Carrot Cake- cream cheese frosting
The noduts are fork and knife creations that take the shape of a doughnut and turn it into a meal. There will be two small plate breakfast noduts each day and two dinner plate noduts. The breakfast noduts will be served from open to 4 p.m. and dinner noduts will be served from 4 p.m. to close.
- Glazed & Gravy (breakfast)- glazed, sage and sausage gravy, fried egg
- Granola & Yogurt (breakfast)- buttermilk granola doughnut, local yogurt, fresh berries, granola
- Chicken Fried (dinner)- glazed, fried chicken, hot sauce
- Avocado Risoughnut (dinner)- corn cake croutons, avocado risotto, pico de gallo, balsamic glaze, pecorino romano
- Glazed & Braised (Friday and Saturday dinner only)- braised beef, pumpkin butter-filled doughnut holes, greek yogurt, pickled carrots
In addition to a robust doughnut menu, Doughnut Lounge also offers a full bar. The bar menu features seven signature cocktails, two original cocktails, five wines and more than 15 bottled beers. Dom Petrucci, of Julep, another Westport establishment, was the lead consultant on the Doughnut Lounge’s bar program.
- Old Fashioned- whiskey, sugar, bitters
- Last Word- gin, chartreuse, maraschino, lime
- Signet- whiskey, vermouth, bitters
- Hardly Questioned- rum, juice, pumpkin, spice, egg white
- Against Method- gin, vermouth, maraschino, bitters, warm
- Eagle Street- sherry, fernet, juice, cucumber
- Slow Jamz- vodka, espresso, cream
- Wolf- cognac, scotch, bitters, simple syrup, suze, cynar
- Daily Breakfast- rotating daily shot + beer
The Doughnut Lounge coffee program will showcase a rotating three-month schedule of featured coffee roasters, including local favorites like Oddly Correct, Post Coffee Company, Parisi, and Roasterie, as well as roasters local to Michigan and Illinois, Randall and Eckert’s home states. A cold brew and nitro brew will be on tap from Alchemy Coffee in Lawrence, Kansas.
About Doughnut Lounge
Located in the heart of Westport, Doughnut Lounge is Kansas City’s shop for one-of-a-kind doughnuts. Owner and operator Jake Randall created Doughnut Lounge as a space for community, creativity and conversation over unique doughnuts, coffee and cocktails from the full bar. The doughnut shop features Classic, Signature and Nodut (a.k.a. Knife-And-Fork Doughnuts) doughnuts, all created by the leader in the kitchen, Executive Chef Tye Eckert. The restaurant is open 6:30 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sunday through Tuesday, and 6:30 a.m. – 1 a.m., Thursday through Saturday. For more information, visit www.doughnutlounge.com, “like” Doughnut Lounge on Facebook and follow Doughnut Lounge on Twitter and Instagram @DoughnutLounge.