keyboard_arrow_up

Dubois, Shoshoni and Hudson use Lodging Tax to Promote Local Events.

Fremont County, WY – Last year tourists spent $138 million in Fremont County. Of that, about $18 million was spent on lodging. The Wind River Visitors Council collected $634,000 from this lodging tax. While 75% of this is spent to market Wind River Country to tourists through the Wind River Visitors Council, the other 25% is given back to the communities where it is collected to help them do local promotions. Those community funds are part of the Tourism Asset Development, or TAD, program overseen by the Wind River Visitors Council volunteer board of directors.

Dubois Chamber of Commerce plans to use some of the TAD funds to create a new website to promote the town as a tourist destination. Mallerie Mevissen, the director of the Dubois Chamber of Commerce, is a fan of the lodging tax and the TAD program.  “The money we’ve received from the lodging tax helps us put on the Dubois Friday Night Rodeos and the National Day of the Cowboy. This year we also used the money to create and print summer event calendars for our locals and tourists. We depend on those funds for successful events in our town for everyone attending.”  

Dawn Marie Thacker from the Shoshoni Chamber of Commerce uses the Tourism Asset Development dollars to help promote their events like the Wyoming 5 Shot Rabbit Hunt, the Labor Day Rodeo and the Wind River Flywheelers Antique Tractor and Engine Show.

Mike Andersen, the Wind River Visitors Council board member representing Hudson, feels that the Lodging Tax is crucial to promote local events.  “The Lodging Tax money was key for sponsoring Hudson Days in June. The profits from that event went directly to the Hudson District Volunteer Fire Department. Overnight visitors pay the lodging tax the same as you or I do when we travel.”

Over $150,000 of TAD funds were re-invested back into Lander, Dubois, Riverton, Shoshoni and Hudson, who are members of the Joint Powers Board that formed the Wind River Visitors Council in the late 1980s. Much of the TAD lodging revenue is then given out as grants to non-profit organizations to promote local events and support community marketing.

 

Related Links: Lander Chamber of CommerceRiverton Chamber of Commerce, Dubois Chamber of CommerceDestination Dubois

For a complete calendar of events go to www.windriver.org/calendar, or to request a vacation packet, please visit us at Wind River Country or call 800-645-6233.

Press Release distributed by the Wind River Visitors Council - Your Fremont County Lodging Tax Dollars at Work!

Keep in touch with Wind River Country

Facebook - Fan us!

Twitter - Follow us!

You Tube - Watch us!

#windriver