What is Sciatica?
Do you have a sharp pain going from your lower back down into your legs? Are you suffering from numbness in one or both of your legs?
If you possess either of these symptoms, you likely have a condition called sciatica. Sciatica stems from the sciatic nerve – which is a large nerve that extends from the lower back down the back of each leg.
Sciatica can be caused by a number of things, but usually it is caused by irritation of the lower lumbar or lumbosacral spine. Other causes of sciatica are:
- Lumbar spinal stenosis – This occurs when the spinal canal in the lower back narrows and irritates the nerve.
- Degenerative Disc Disease – This occurs when the discs in your vertebrae – which act as a cushion between your vertebrae – start to breakdown.
- Spondylolisthesis – This condition occurs when a single vertebra slips forward over another vertebra.
- Pregnancy – The pressure on your back can induce sciatica.
What are the symptoms of Sciatica?
The majority of people that suffer from sciatica, only feel the effects in one leg or the other. The pain is sharp or burning and usually extends down through the lower back, into the thigh and down the back of the leg. However, the other symptoms of sciatica include:
- Pain in the buttocks or leg that becomes worse when you are sitting down.
- Tingling or numbness down the back of the leg.
- Limited mobility in the leg or foot.
- Constant pain on one side of the buttocks or the other.
- Pain that prevents someone from standing up.
If you have any of these symptoms, don’t worry, effective and viable treatments are available. Our expert staff at Chicagoland Medical has been helping sciatica patients reduce pain and improve mobility for years. Come in for a consultation and see how we can help reduce your pain and return you to your normal lifestyle. No one should live with pain and the experts at Chicagoland Medical will ensure that you don’t either! Our proven sciatica treatments can help provide immediate relief.
Call today to book your consultation.