CANCIÓN AMOROSA: SONGS OF SPAIN
COMPOSER: Narcís Bonet • Jose Melchor Gomis • Jesus Guridi • Alberto Hemsi • Felix Lavilla • Federico Garcia Lorca • Xavier Montsalvatge • Manuel Garcia Morante • Manuel Penella Moreno • Joaquín Nin • Graciano Tarrago • Eduardo Toldra
ARTIST: Corinne Winters • Steven Blier
GPR70013 | 091037788597
1 CD | US SRP $19.99
• Pianist Steven Blier and soprano Corinne Winters team up for a recording celebrating the glories of Catalan, Basque, Sephardi and Castilian music, sung in the four independent dialects spoken in Spain.
• Winters, a recent graduate of the prestigious Academy of Vocal Arts in Philadelphia, Penn., has to date medaled 1st or 2nd in several U.S. vocal competitions and appeared on many regional and international opera house and concert stage.
• Blier has accompanied vocal artists of the highest order throughout his distinguished career, including Renée Fleming, Cecilia Bartoli and Susan Graham. He is Artistic Director of the New York Festival of Song (NYFOS), which he co-founded in 1988.
• “This CD is a triple threat: sublime, beautiful songs, exquisite singing, masterful playing. Corinne Winters is one of America’s premier new voices, and in Steve Blier she has the collaborator of one’s dreams.” - Joyce DiDonato
VERDI & WAGNER
COMPOSER: Giuseppe Verdi • Richard Wagner • Jules Massenet • Maurice Ravel
ARTIST: Rolando Villazon • Thomas Hampson • Symphonieorchester und Chor Des Bayerischen Rundfunks • Yannick Nezet-Seguin
716804 | 814337011680
1 BluRay | US SRP $39.99
716708 | 814337011673
1 DVD | US SRP $24.99
Rolando Villazón, Thomas Hampson and Yannick Nézet-Séguin, along with the world’s greatest orchestras perform a bouquet of famous opera arias, duets, overtures and choruses in celebration of Giuseppe Verdi and Richard Wagner on a summer’s night at Munich’s Odeonsplatz. This scintillating opera gala offers you the chance to experience and revisit the Odeonsplatz Concert 2013 in all its glory!
• “Sounds from heaven…great performers.” –TZ München
• “Villazón sang with overwhelming force …” –Abendzeitung Münch
COMPOSER: Claudio Monteverdi • Luigi Rossi • Francesco Provenzale • Barbara Strozzi • Giacomo Carissimi • Girolamo Frescobaldi • Johannes Hieronymus Kapsberger
ARTIST: Romina Basso • Latinitas Nostra: Theodoros Kitsos • Andreas Linos • Markellos Chryssicos
V5390 | 822186053904
1 CD | US SRP $16.99
• Mezzo-soprano Romina Basso records her first recital in Athens with Markellos Chryssicos and Latinitas Notra.
• Featured among these Italian baroque masterpieces are some of the most heart-wrenching musical pieces of all times: Monteverdi’s “Lamento d’Arianna,” Barbara Strozzi’s “Lagrime mie” and Francesco Provenzale’s “Squarciato appena avea.”
• Born in the Italian border city of Gorizia, Basso studied at the Conservatorio Benedetto Marcello in Venice. She regularly performs in Italy and worldwide, collaborating with orchestras and ensembles including Concerto Italiano, Le Concert des Nations and Les Arts Florissants, among many others. Her discography features several recordings of works by the crème de la crème of Baroque composers such as Handel, Vivaldi and A. Scarlatti.
DIE MEISTERSINGER VON NÜRNBERG
COMPOSER: Richard Wagner
ARTIST: Daniele Gatti • Stefan Herheim • Monika Bohinec • Anna Gabler • Roberto Saccà • Peter Sonn • Michael Volle • Markus Werba • Georg Zeppenfeld
2072684 | 880242726841
2 BluRay | US SRP $49.99
2072688 | 880242726889
2 DVD | US SRP $49.99
• Filmed during the 2013 Salzburg Festival, this new staging of Richard Wagner’s Meistersinger, conducted by Daniele Gatti, burst upon the audience like a thunderclap. The New York Times deemed it “…fresh, charming and perceptive…magical and irresistible!” while the Neue Zürcher Zeitung noted how convincingly the chorus of the Vienna State Opera acted out the crowds and “how splendid the Vienna Philharmonic sounds.”
• Director Stefan Herheim’s inspired staging sets this midsummer night’s dream as a fairytale narrative, and the lavish stage set radiates a youthful charm.
• Roberto Sacca as Walther von Stolzing shows effortless control in his superb realization of the part; Michael Volle possesses the voice and acting ability to flesh out a fascinatingly multi-layered portrait of Hans Sachs.
• The package design follows the successful Salzburg Festival serial blueprint with luxury slipcase. As a bonus this release includes “A Making of…” documentary.
• The package design follows the successful Salzburg Festival serial blueprint with luxury slipcase, and includes “A Making of…” documentary.
ARIADNE AUF NAXOS
COMPOSER: Richard Strauss
ARTIST: Thomas Allen • Soile Isokoski • Kate Lindsey • Laura Claycomb • Dmitri Vargin • Sergey Skorokhodov • James Kryshak • Torben Jürgens • London Philharmonic Orchestra • Vladimir Jurowski
OA 1135D | 809478011354
1 DVD | US SRP $29.99
OA BD7145D | 809478071457
1 BluRay | US SRP $39.99
Director Katharina Thoma sets Richard Strauss’ comedy in a country house in the South Downs (a surrogate for Glyndebourne), immediately before and during the Second World War. The librettist Hugo von Hofmannsthals’ conceit—that a hapless young composer has to accept the simultaneous performance of his new tragic opera with a burlesque from a commedia dell’arte troupe—is turned into a touching wartime drama of nurses, invalids, and airmen, and of painful delusions and soul-searching, before final happiness. The excellent cast is led by Thomas Allen as the Music Master and Soile Isokoski as Ariadne.
• Extra features include When Two Worlds Collide, Thomas Allen at Glyndebourne, Vladimir Jurowski on his final production as Music Director and a cast gallery.
• “In 40 years of watching Ariadne, the opera has never moved me more.’’ –The Daily Mail
• ‘‘...a terrific evening of onstage entertainment …For any Strauss lover ...an absolute must.” –MusicalCriticism.com
HIPPOLYTE ET ARICIE
COMPOSER: Jean-Philippe Rameau
ARTIST: Ed Lyon • Christiane Karg • Sarah Connolly • Stephane Degout • Katherine Watson •
Francois Lis • Julie Pasturaud • Samuel Boden • Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment • The Glyndebourne Chorus • William Christie
OA 1143D | 809478011439
2 DVD | US SRP $29.99
OA BD7150D | 809478071501
1 BluRay | US SRP $39.99
• Jonathan Kent’s production, Paul Brown’s designs and Ashley Page’s choreography aim to flood the senses and bring to life Rameau’s inventive take on Racine’s great tragedy Phèdre, a first for Glyndebourne.
• Ed Lyon and Christiane Karg star as the titular young lovers, while Sarah Connolly made a welcome return to Glyndebourne as Phaedra.
• A leading exponent of early music, William Christie “set an exhilarating pace, galvanizing…playing of tremendous panache” (Daily Telegraph).
In addition to being an award-winning classical label, Naxos of America is the #1 independent classical music distributor in the U.S. and Canada. Specializing in state-of-the-art distribution, marketing and promotion, Naxos of America distributes nearly 50,000 titles on CD and DVD to traditional brick and mortar retail, as well as offering a comprehensive suite of services tailored to consumer direct fulfillment. Naxos of America is also the largest digital distributor of independent classical music, supplying a catalog of over 50,000 albums to hundreds of digital download and mobile outlets worldwide.