(Lander, Wyo.) - "Working out is my time to get out of my head!” The connection between body and mind is a strong one, according to the American Psychological Association. By mastering your moves, you in effect improve your mind. Handy, huh?
Here are 5 ways fitness helps your mental health:
1. Fitness Helps Relieve Stress - Whether you’re exploring a deeper meditative state in your yoga practice or taking out some aggression on a punching bag, you’re working out your brain as well as your muscles.
2. Fitness May Lead to Improved Cognitive Function - Moderate exercise has an impact on the brain by preventing cognitive decline.
3. Fitness Boosts Your Sense of Accomplishment - Whether you’re running your first mile or finishing a marathon, there is most certainly a sense of accomplishment that accompanies every athletic feat.
4. Fitness Makes You Feel Happy - You know that invincible feeling that you get after a good workout? There’s a reason for it post-sweat. You’re producing serotonin and norepinephrine.
5. Fitness May Relieve Depression - Exercise reduces anxiety, improves overall mood, and provides an opportunity for social interaction—not to mention, a challenging or fun workout will likely take your mind away from the things causing anxiety.
To read the full article, click here!