Marine Week Phoenix Celebrates Community, Country and Corps through Free Events, Service Projects, Equipment and Vehicle Displays, Navajo Code Talkers, Marine Band Concerts and Silent Drill Platoon Performances
PHOENIX (September 1, 2015) – 750 Marines will flood the greater Phoenix area to engage with the American public and demonstrate who they are and how they defend the Nation September 10-13 at Marine Week Phoenix.
“Marine Week will bring the Corps’ latest technology, state-of-the-art equipment, rich history and hundreds of Marines to Phoenix,” said Lt. Gen. David Berger, commanding general of First Marine Expeditionary Force. “Marine Week is our opportunity to connect with Arizonans, and all patriots, thank them for their support and demonstrate why the Marine Corps is America’s Expeditionary Force in Readiness.”
More than 35 Marine Week 2015 events occurring in Phoenix, Tempe, Glendale, Mesa and Scottsdale will allow attendees to:
- Climb aboard aircraft and ground equipment – including the Cobra Attack Helicopter and Assault Amphibious Vehicle
- Witness Marine Corps martial arts and military working dog demonstrations
- Meet legendary Navajo Code Talkers
- Honor fallen heroes
- Workout alongside marines
- Experience the Silent Drill Platoon and Marine Corps Band
“The City of Phoenix is pleased to host Marine Week in 2015. It will be a true honor and privilege to celebrate the service of the brave men and women who protect us and our freedom,” said Mayor Greg Stanton. “Marine Week promises to be one of the most incredible hands-on events we have ever hosted in Phoenix. Families from all over Arizona are going to enjoy an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet and interact with hundreds of Marines, to thank them for their service, and get up close and personal with heavy-duty military vehicles.”
Marine Week brings the best of the Marine Corps to a classic American city that does not have the opportunity to interact with Marines on a regular basis. All Marine Week events are family friendly, free and open to the public.
Marine Week Phoenix events will occur across the Valley September 10-13. All events are free and open to the public. Event Highlights include:
USMC Static Displays, Demonstrations and Activities
- Venue/Location: Civic Space Park, Phoenix
- Address: 424 N. Central Ave
- Workout Details: Work out with the Marines – come test your mettle with a grueling PT (physical training) session.
- Hours: Daily (Sept 9-12) 7 to 7:45 a.m.
- Display Details See up close, touch and observe the Indoor Simulated Marksmanship Training, Infantry Weapon and Robotics System Displays, Deployable Virtual Training Environment, Explosive Ordinance Disposal, Military Working Dogs and Marine Corps Martial Arts Demonstrations
- Hours: Sept 9, 4 – 8 p.m.
- Sept 10, 11, 12, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sept 13, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
USMC Vehicles and Aircraft Displays
- Venue/Location: Downtown, Phoenix
- Address: 1st Street and Jefferson Lot
- Details: Climb aboard an Abrams Tank, Amphibious Assault Vehicle, Cobra Helicopter, Light Armored Vehicle, Huey Helicopter, and so much more!
- Hours: Sept 10, 11, 12 noon to 10 p.m.
- Sept 13, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Daily Wreath Laying to honor fallen Marines
- Venue/Location: Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza, Phoenix
- Address: 205 S 17th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85007
- Details: Marine Leadership, Phoenix VIP and Gold Star Mother will lay a wreath to remember service members who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our continued way of life
- Hours: Sept 10, 11, 12, 13, 8 to 8:15 a.m.
Marine Day at ASU
- Venue/Locations (multiple): Sun Devil Fitness Complex, Cronkite School of Journalism, Sun Devil Soccer Stadium, Tempe
- Hours: September 10, multiple
- Details: 3 – 6 p.m. Military Working Dogs and Marine Corps Martial Arts Demonstrations, and Humvee and Internally Transportable Vehicle static display at Sun Devil Fitness Complex
- 5 – 6 p.m. Marine Corps Leadership Panel: A Female Perspective at Cronkite School of Journalism
- 6:30 to 9 p.m. All-Marine Soccer Team vs. ASU Soccer Club, National Anthem performed by Marine Band, Halftime Show by the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon
Phoenix National Memorial Cemetery 9/11 Ceremony
- Venue/Location: National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
- Hours: 8am
- Details: Marines pay tribute to those who have fallen on 9/11 and since then fighting the War on Terror. Marine Band San Diego and Color Guard. General Officer Speaking Engagement
- Special Guest: Dr. Crow, President ASU University
- Venue/Location: University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale
- Address: 1 Cardinals Dr, Glendale, AZ 85305
- Details: Marine Air Ground Task Force Demonstration – 25 minute demo showcasing Marines securing an objective with aircraft and ground force. Before the demo will be the military working dog demo and Marine Corps martial arts demos, Marine Band San Diego** and Silent Drill Platoon performances**, static equipment and technology displays
- Hours: Full Show Friday, September 11, 10 a.m. to Noon
- Partial Show Sunday, September 13, 10:30 till 12:30 (Pre-Cardinals Game Show)** Sunday performances of the SDP and Band are in/next to the stadium. While the MAGTF Demo will be taking place outside the stadium, if you are not attending the football game it is recommended you come to the Friday show.**
Marines in Mesa Day
- Venue/Location: Riverview Park, Mesa
- Address: 2100 West 8th Street, Mesa, AZ 85201
- Details: Marine Week Exhibits in Mesa event will showcase Silent Drill Platoon performances, the Marine Band, Working Dog demonstrations and static equipment and technology displays.
- Hours: Saturday, September 12, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Marine Week 2015 Art Mural Construction
- Venue/Location: Scottsdale Civic Center Public Library, Scottsdale
- Address: 3839 North Drinkwater Boulevard, Scottsdale, AZ 85251Details: Marine Week 2015 Art Mural incorporating Arizona imagery and Marine Week themes of Community, Country, Corps will be created throughout the week by Marine artists as a permanent display.
- Hours: Daily (Sept. 7-12) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Unveiling of complete Mural on September 12 from 3-3:30 p.m.
For additional Marine Week information visit: www.Marines.mil/MarineWeek. For updates, follow Marine Week on these social media platforms:
- Facebook: “Marine Week” url: facebook.com/corpsconnection
- Twitter: marineweekphx url: twitter.com/marineweekphx
- Instagram: marineweekphoenix url: instagram.com/marineweekphoenix
- Periscope: @marineweekphx
- Snapchat: @marineweek