COMPOSER: Antoine Brumel • G. P. da Palestrina • William Byrd • Jacobus Vaet • Thomas Crévillon • Rolans de Lassus
ARTIST: Studio de Musique Ancienne de Montreal • Christopher Jackson (conductor)
ACD2 2653 | 722056265324
1 CD | US SRP $16.99
· To mark the 40th anniversary of the Studio de musique ancienne de Montréal, ATMA presents Terra Tremuit (The Earth Trembled) featuring Antoine Brumel’s mass Et ecce terrae motus (Lo, the earth shook), considered to be his most original work.
· Also featured are motets by Jacobus Vaet and Thomas Crecquillon, Franco-Flemish masters following Brumel. Listeners will also discover Terra Tremuit, a motet whose title alludes to the earthquake that marked the death of Jesus. Christopher Jackson conducts.
MEDIEVAL CHANT: TALLIS LAMENTATIONS
COMPOSER: Thomas Tallis • John Sheppard
ARTIST: Tenebrae Consort • Nigel Short
SIGCD901 | 635212090121
1 CD | US SRP $17.99
· An exploration of classic works at the very heart of the Medieval and early-Renaissance British Choral Tradition.
· Tenebrae Consort singers are hand-picked from the award-winning chamber choir Tenebrae.
· Both singers and instrumentalists are directed from within the Consort by Nigel Short.
· Focusing on repertoire originally written for consort performance, particularly early music, Tenebrae Consort aim to shed new interpretative light on their chosen repertoire.
IL TRIONFO DI DORI-VENICE 1592
ARTIST: Vocal Music-Rennaisance
TC590003 | 8007194105766
1 CD | US SRP $18.99
· Il Trionfo di Dori was printed in 1592. A Venetian nobleman, Leonardo Sanudo asked 29 authors to compose a poem, and then asked 29 musicians to compose a madrigal to each text.
· Il Trionfo di Dori describes idyllic scenes of a mythical past merged with a peaceful pastoral world.
· Each piece closes with the words “Viva la bella Dori!”, the collection’s unifying element. Dori, the lovely sea nymph, is the name that hints at the woman to whom the work was dedicated, Elisabetta Giustinian.
ROSENKRANTZ SONATEN (MYSTERY SONATAS)
COMPOSER: Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber
ARTIST: Sirkka-Liisa Kaakinen-Pichl • Battalia
ODE 1243-2D | 761195124321
2 CD | US SRP $16.99
· Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber’s (1644-1704) virtuosic 16 Mystery Sonatas, also known as the Rosary Sonatas, are the composer’s best known works.
· Played by violinist Sirkka-Liisa Kaakinen-Pichl and the Finnish Baroque ensemble.
· Kaakinen-Pichl is in great demand as a leader of countless renowned early music ensembles and orchestras, and served as leader of Philippe Herreweghe’s Collegium Vocale for the past 10 years.