Jax declares February Oyster Month and will feature weekly food and drink specials and 10 cents per Emersum oyster shucked donated to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society during the month
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Jan. 25, 2016) – Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar has declared February Oyster Month and is planning a month-long celebration, highlighted by its second annual oyster eating competition on Saturday, Feb. 27 with a grand prize of $1,000 cash. Guests will also have the opportunity to enjoy weekly food and drink specials all month created by Chef de Cuisine Theresia Ota and Lead Bartender Kenny Cohrs. Finally, ten cents per every Emersum oyster shucked at Jax during the month of February will be donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
Oyster Eating Competition
Jax’s second annual oyster eating competition will take place on Saturday, February 27 at 2 p.m. Teams of four will attempt to swallow the most oysters in a 2-minute battle. The team that slurps the most oysters in the given time will win $1,000 cash. The entry fee for the oyster eating competition is $400 and all proceeds will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Those who wish to enter the oyster eating competition can register by calling Jax at (816) 437-7940 and asking for Tim Roy or Margaret Adams. The last day to register is February 20. Space is limited.
Oyster Month Food & Drink Specials
Chef de Cuisine Theresia Ota has created four oyster-inspired dishes for the oyster month celebration. Each special will run for one week during February.
- Week 1 (Feb. 1-7)- Duane’s Spicy Fried Oysters $15- Sriracha hot sauce, sweet and sour fennel, yuzu aioli, toasted sesame seed, puffed rice
- Week 2 (Feb. 8-14)- Fried Oyster Biscuit and Gravy $15- Andouille, white gravy, sunny egg
- Week 3 (Feb. 15-22)- Dietzy’s Banh Mi $17- Rice flour fried oysters, Nam Pla Pickled vegetables, cilantro, sriracha mayo, chicken liver pate
- Week 4 (Feb. 23-29)- Tempura Oyster and Ahi Udon $19- Soy marinated mushrooms, ahi noodles, kimchee, miso broth, nori
Lead Bartender Kenny Cohrs has also developed a number of oyster month drinks that will run throughout February including:
- Week 1 (Feb. 1-7)- Precautionary Measures- Deveron 12 year scotch, Pimm's No. 1 liqueur, Combier Triple Sec
- Week 2 (Feb. 8-14)- In Shallow Waters- Rieger gin, Aperol, orange, cava
- Week 3 (Feb. 15-22)- Not from Granada- Rieger vodka, lime juice, camomile-vanilla water, granita
- Week 4 (Feb. 23-29)- Jacob's Fortune- Rieger whiskey, lemon juice, cinnamon, orange fresno mignonette shrub
Ten cents of every Emersum oyster shucked during the month of February will be donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). Jax will also donate the registration fees from the oyster eating competition to LLS.
About Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar
A Big Red F Restaurant Group restaurant, Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar brings the coasts to the coastless, serving up the finest and freshest the ocean has to offer. Sourcing dock-to-door, Executive Chef Sheila Lucero has built long-standing relationships with coastal fisherman to ship the highest quality seafood available daily, incorporating fresh ingredients into an innovative sea-to-table menu. Consistently voted to the “Best of” awards, Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar has five locations in Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, Glendale, and Kansas City, each boasting unique menus. For more information, please visit www.jaxfishhouse.com.