PROVIDENCE, R.I. – March 6, 2014– Befitting a destination known as “The Creative Capital,” Providence (www.goprovidence.com) is offering visitors the opportunity to take part in learning vacation experiences this spring designed to tap into the city’s culture. Travelers can engage in everything from creating a gourmet meal at one of the world’s top culinary schools, learning the art of crafting the perfect pies at a local bakery, channeling their inner blacksmith, or designing their own wedding invitations in a print shop class. A sampling of learning vacation opportunities are highlighted below:
Cooking Classes – Johnson & Wales University College of Culinary Arts
One of the most recognized culinary schools in the world, Johnson & Wales offers Chef’s Choice classes that combine hands-on experience with demonstrations under the direction of chef-instructors. Participants can learn knife skills, perfect their favorite pastry or explore the world of global cuisines in a three-hour class. Visitors of all skill levels are welcome to participate. Participants must be at least 16 years of age to register and 21 years old to register for wine classes. Special classes are also offered specifically for children and teens. Prices and dates vary by the class topics, which are listed below:
- Class Topics: Main Courses, Desserts, Appetizers, Wine and Beverage Education
- Additional Classes: Kids Class (Ages 8-12), Teen Class (Ages 13-16), Pro-Series
Contact: For more information and to view a full list of classes and the registration information, visit www.jwu.edu/chefschoice and click Providence or call 401-598-1000.
Baking Classes – Ellie’s Bakery
As part of an ongoing series, Ellie’s Bakery is offering classes on site to teach visitors how to make some of its delectable desserts and tasty treats. Some of the bakery’s spring classes include:
- Perfect Pies: Ellie’s teaches participants the secrets of creating the perfect pies, from the dough, fillings, decorations and baking techniques.
o Date: Sunday, March 30, Noon – 3 p.m.
o Price: $60; There is currently a waiting list – e-mail email@example.com to be added to the list.
- Spring-Time Goodies: Ellie’s givesprofessional tips for baking the best treats for Spring:
o Date: Thursday, April 17,6 – 8 p.m.
o Price: $60; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Mother’s Day Treats: In this baking lesson, participants will learn how to create the perfect cinnamon buns, ideal for a Mother’s Day breakfast in bed.
o Date: Sunday, May 11, 1–3 p.m.
o Price: $60; email email@example.com to register.
- Wine Tasting & Cheese Accoutrements:In this class, participants will learn how to create their own cheese appurtenances while tasting wine and cheeses from local Providence vendors.
o Date: Thursday, June 12, 6–8 p.m.
o Price: $75; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: For more information and a full list of classes, visithttp://graciesprovidence.com/ellies or call 401-228-8118
Workshops – The Providence Steel Yard
The Steel Yard seeks to introduce visitors to the industrial arts that have helped rehab this former factory site into a creative space. The Steel Yard’s 10,000-square-foot industrial shop includes welding, blacksmithing, jewelry and ceramics foundry space, ceramics and jewelry cooperatives, studio access opportunities outdoor multi-use exhibition, and multiple classes that are open to the public, including:
- Beginning Blacksmithing Workshop: This two-day course teaches the basics of heating and shaping steel. The class will teach participants the basics of blacksmithing techniques including tapering, spreading, bending, scrolling and shouldering. The course is open to people of any skill level and all materials will be provided in the class.
o Date: Saturday, April 12 – Sunday, April 13, from 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
o Price: $195
- Weekend Welding Workshop: This two-day workshop introduces students to MIG welding, the oxygen-acetylene torch, metal saws and the grinder. Students will learn how to heat, cut, join, bend and polish the metal on the first day and then put their skills to the test on Sunday, making their own project that they can take home. This class is open to people of any skill level and all materials will be provided in the class.
o Date: Saturday, March 22 – Sunday, March 23, from 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
o Price: $195
Contact: For more information and a full list of classes, visit www.thesteelyard.org/ or call (401) 273-7101
Spring Classes – AS220
Founded in 1985 as an association to serve as a local forum for the arts, AS220 provides the city of Providence with residential and work studios, arts educational opportunities and gallery, performance and instructive spaces that feature work that is unjuried and uncensored in order to foster the creative spirit of the community and encourage the freedom of expression. AS220 is offering a variety of classes for the spring, which include various types of lab workshops (including working with a 3D printer), media arts workshops (photography, video and digital classes) and print shop workshops (book arts, letter press and printmaking/finishing techniques).
Contact: For additional information and a full class schedule, visit http://shop.as220.org/ or call 401-831-9327
~ The Creative Capital ~
Providence is a vibrant and energetic destination boasting some of the country’s finest educational institutions paired with a pulsating artistic landscape. The city’s history of innovation, dating back to its founding father Roger Williams, drives a strong sense of place and encourages residents and visitors alike to view Providence as a leading arts and cultural destination. Providence seamlessly blends the urban sophistication of a big city with the graceful charm of a small town replete with internationally-acclaimed restaurants and a thriving arts scene. For more information, log onto www.goprovidence.com.
# # #