Downtown Kansas City’s newest dining concept will feature a scratch kitchen and cocktail bar as well as on-site barbecue smoking
Kansas City, Mo. (February 25, 2015) – Cleaver & Cork, the new dining concept led by local acclaimed Chef and Expert Butcher Alex Pope, opens to the public on Thursday, Feb. 26 at 1333 Walnut Street in the heart of downtown Kansas City in the Power & Light District. Cleaver & Cork’s service hours will be Monday – Thursday, 4 p.m. – midnight and Friday and Saturday, 4 p.m. – 3 a.m. The full dinner menu will be offered until 10 p.m. nightly. Happy hour will run from 4 – 7 p.m., Monday – Friday, and a late night happy hour will be offered from 10 p.m. – midnight on Friday and Saturday.
Pope created Cleaver & Cork’s menu and will oversee the kitchen’s operations as the culinary director. Pope’s Kansas City tenure includes time spent under the leadership of James Beard award-winning chefs Debbie Gold and Celina Tio at The American Restaurant. In February 2012, Pope opened Local Pig in Kansas City’s East Bottoms and year later, opened Pigwich, a sandwich shop featuring the premium meats of Local Pig.
Eric Willey joins Pope as managing partner and will lead Cleaver & Cork’s front-of-house operations. A certified sommelier, Willey will be in charge of Cleaver & Cork’s wine program, as well. Willey spent the past three years as general manager and sommelier at Bluestem under James Beard Award winner Colby Garrelts.
Andrew Olsen joins the Cleaver & Cork team as lead bartender and will execute a cocktail list he created. Prior to his hire at Cleaver & Cork, Olsen worked under locally renowned restaurateur and sommelier Ryan Maybee, along with Howard Hanna at The Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange.
Aligning with its commitment to fresh, quality products, Cleaver & Cork sources its products seasonally from local farmers and ranchers in Missouri, including Parker Natural Meats in Richmond, Bell Farms in Higginsville, Circle P Ranch in Archie, Campo Lindo in Lathrop, and Simply Food in Milo, as well as Good Acres in Wathena, Kansas.
Distinctive Starters and Appetizers
- Champagne Poached Prawns – Spiced tomatoes, fried brussels, fresh horseradish
- Bourbon Cured Smoked Salmon – Pickled onion, lemon crème fraiche
- Braised Pork Jowl – Fried grits, roasted jalapeno
Distinctive Salads & Soups
- Grilled Fennel Salad – Fingerling potato, olives, lemon vinaigrette
- Roast Beets – House-made buratta, balsamic vinaigrette, pumpkin seeds
- Oyster Mushroom Salad – Fresh ricotta, chipotle vinaigrette, grilled bread
- Local Pig Sausage Soup – Mushrooms, potatoes, cheese crouton
Signature Burgers, Sandwiches and Entrées
- Smoked Beet Sandwich – Roast mushrooms, butter cheese
- Fried Bacon & Oyster Sandwich – Hot pepper jelly, lemon crème fraiche, green onions
- Beefsteak Burger – Cheese curds, sweet onion mustard, porcini aioli
- Orecchietè – Roasted garlic sausage, broccoli rabe, olive oil, chile
- Fried Pork Chop – Roasted apples, polenta, braising jus, parsley relish
- Pork Osso Bucco – Roasted apples, polenta, braising jus, parsley relish
- BBQ Pork Shoulder – Cornbread, barbeque buerre blanc, braised red cabbage
- Kansas City Strip Steak – Fries, caramelized onion butter, swiss chard
- Smoked Ribeye – Parmesan potatoes, asparagus, red wine demi glace
- Smoked Vanilla Crème Brulee – maple whipped cream
- Pecan Butter Cake – Rieger Whiskey ice cream, salted caramel
- Orange Ice Box Pie – Pretzel crust, crème anglaise
- Fried Brownie – Vanilla bean ice cream, milk chocolate sauce
The Cleaver & Cork cocktail and drink menu will include specialty wines, beers and 10 craft cocktails created by lead bartender Andrew Olsen.
- The Candidate: Rye whiskey, Dolin Rouge, Dry Curacao, bitters
- Social Discourse: Panama rum, honey allspice, lime, sparkling wine
- Latin Preserve: Single Estate Tequila, Amontillado Sherry, marmalade, lemon
- Valentino: Blended Scotch, Roasterie Toddy Vermouth, orange, Heering Cherry Liqueur
Daily Weekday Happy Hour
Cleaver & Cork offers happy hour Monday through Friday from 4 – 7 p.m.
Late Night Weekend Happy Hour
Every Friday and Saturday, Cleaver & Cork offers late night happy hour from 10 p.m. – midnight.
Reservations and Information
Reservations can be made by calling 816-541-3484. For information and updates, guests can visit www.cleaverandcork.com, “like” Cleaver & Cork on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cleaverandcork and follow on Twitter and Instagram at @cleaverandcork.