Popular Country Club Plaza personalities return with community-focused restaurant featuring casual menu, full-service bar and new brunch
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Oct. 21, 2014) – Summit Grill and Bar opened in Kansas City’s Waldo community Oct. 27. Co-owners and longtime familiar faces in the Kansas City restaurant community, Andy Lock and Chef Domhnall Molloy, are adding a chef-led dining destination customized for the Waldo neighborhood, bringing the hybrid casual and formal fare of their popular Lee’s Summit concept to a second location.
Summit brings Saturday brunch to Waldo with both Saturday and Sunday brunch service 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Lunch is served Monday-Friday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Dinner is served daily, Sundays 3-9 p.m.; Monday-Thursday from 3-10 p.m.; and Friday-Saturday 3 p.m.-11 p.m. Happy hour is available throughout the restaurant twice daily from 3-6 p.m. and, in another first for the Waldo location, 10 p.m.-midnight with drink and food specials.
Summit Grill and Bar occupies the former Remedy Food + Drink and Kennedy’s Bar and Grill space at 500 W. 75th Street, the corner of 75th and Washington streets. The restaurant seats a total of 126 people – 60 in the main dining area available for reservations and large parties; 40 in a casual, walk-in seating area; and 26 at the full-service bar and nearby tables. The space utilizes surrounding glass walls to create an open feel and bring in natural light. The outer walls around much of the restaurant slide open allowing for open-air dining in warmer weather. A wrap-around patio is currently open to standing bar patrons but will continue to evolve with tables, chairs and heating in the coming months.
Summit Bar and Grill is led by co-owners Molloy and Lock, former regional leaders for McCormick and Schmick’s Seafood and Steaks. The duo opened the first Summit Grill and Bar in 2013 in Lee’s Summit, Missouri with its ultimate success of inspiring expansion into Kansas City. Molloy lives two blocks from the restaurant and regularly collects input from neighbors on menu ideas and offerings. They are joined in the new location by restaurant partner and executive chef Po Wang and restaurant managers Katie Vaughn and Mia Wood.
About the Menus
Summit Grill and Bar in Kansas City features a variety of casual American favorites from hand-cut steaks, flame-broiled burgers, seafood selections and other house-made items from their scratch kitchen.
· Lunch – Diverse options for a fast and easy lunch or a casual, laid-back meal. The menu features the 10 Under 10 section, a selection of popular Summit meals available for under $10, including chicken fried chicken and crispy avocado tacos. The new restaurant offers an expanded soups and salads section for fast lunches for area businesses.
· Dinner – Options range from a wedge salad and prime rib dip sandwich for the casual walk-in diner to a dish of seared scallops or a hand-cut Kansas City strip steak for those looking for an evening out.
· Happy Hour - Served daily from 3-6 p.m. throughout the restaurant, the menu features food specials ranging from $3-5. Summit’s Waldo location adds a late-night happy hour on weekends from 10 p.m.-midnight. The menu includes selections from the lunch and dinner menus, including the popular Steak “Street” Tacos, as well as items only available on the happy hour menu, including Pot Roast Sliders and Tuna Poke. Specials include $5 cocktails, $4 house wine and $2 domestic beers.
· Drink – Summit’s full-service bar offers a range of classic cocktails, including Moscow Mule and Salted Caramel Martini, as well as domestic and import beers and wines by the glass or bottle. In addition, $9 bottomless mimosas are available daily until 3 p.m. The restaurant serves a full bar during regular hours along with the drink menu’s nine original cocktails and dozens of beer and wine options.
· Brunch – The Summit Grill and Bar brunch menu is available Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Menu selection includes jarred spicy cheese grits with thick-cut bacon and, drawing on Molloy’s Irish roots, a traditional Irish breakfast.
Reservations and Information
Walk ins are welcome but reservations are accepted by calling 816-361-9788 or by visiting SummitGrillandBar.com. A major credit cards are accepted. For the most up-to-date information, visit SummitGrillandBar.com or engage on social media at facebook.com/SummitWaldo or @SummitWaldo on Twitter.
About Summit Grill and Bar
Summit Bar and Grill is a casual American restaurant opened in Lee’s Summit, Missouri in 2013 and Kansas City, Missouri’s historic Waldo neighborhood in Oct. 2014. Both locations are open daily for lunch, dinner and happy hour, as well as Saturday and Sunday brunch. The restaurant’s menus feature a range of options from sandwiches, salads and burgers to hand-cut steaks and seafood. Summit Grill and Bar is led by long-time restaurateurs Domnall Molloy and Andy Lock, formerly of McCormick and Schmick’s Seafood and Steaks. Summit Grill and Bar is located in Lee’s Summit at 4835 NE Lakewood Way and in Kansas City at 500 W. 75th Street in Kansas City. Reservations can be made online through Open Table or by calling 816-795-1299 in Lee’s Summit and 816-361-9788 in Kansas City. Visit Summit online at SummitGrillandBar.com.