Olives sound great individually and also when they are added into any other dish. Olives are always supposed to add extra taste to any dish. Further, they are healthy as well. Moreover, when the style of cooking is Italian, there could be no match with that dish whatsoever. The Italian fried olives are one such delicious dish which is liked mostly because it is a very light dish with no such health hazards associated with it.
Following are the main ingredients in order to cook Italian fried olives either at home or at a restaurant:
- Gorgonzola crumbled cheese about 1 Table spoon (Cheese should be at room temperature).
- Whole milk ricotta cheese about 1 Table spoon
- Dry Thyme about a ½ Table spoon
- Grated lemon zest about ½ a Table spoon
- A portion of 10 pitted green olives ( Should be thoroughly rinse and then dried completely)
- Flour about ¼ of a cup
- Breadcrumbs (Plain) about ¼ of a cup
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil required for frying
The Italian fried olives are fairly easy to cook. The preparation time for the ingredients is about 20 minutes approximately. Further, on the stove it takes just around 2 minutes to fry. This time is so less if considered how delicious the dish is. The time can be further curtailed if your kitchen is stuffed with all the ingredients of the dish. Following is a brief description of the procedure to prepare Italian fried olives:
- By using a fork, whish gorgonzola, lemon zest, ricotta and thyme. Make sure that the gorgonzola crumble is finely chopped and there are no remaining lumps. Using the spoon, pour the mixed mixture in to a pastry container having base of a ¼ inch round shape plain tip. Place the mixture of cheese into each olive or the pastry container.
- Now the next step is to put the plain bread crumbs and the flour into separate pieces of the wrapping wax paper. Now beat egg in a small sized bowl. First roll each piece of olive in the flour and then dip it in the beaten egg. Next by using a fork, remove the olives from the beaten egg. Then, just roll the egg and flour coated olives into the plain bread crumbs to coat again.
- The final step requires heating about 1+ ½ cup of frying oil in a saucepan and allowing it to heat gently. The temperature of the frying oil should get up to about 350 degrees F which you can check by putting in a small piece of bread in the start. The bread piece will turn into brown color in about 3 minutes confirming the temperature to be over 350 degrees F. Each olive requires about a minute to fry and then place it on paper towels.
Allow the olives to cool for about 5 minutes and then they are ready to eat. It is a dish loved by people of all ages and it is definitely recommended to anyone who wants to experiment something new in their kitchen. The Italian fried olives can be served at home for parties, occasional family gatherings, and also as a take out dish to offices and schools.