Heifer International works with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the Earth. We believe in the power of the world’s 600 million smallholder farmers and herders to sustainably feed our growing population. We make a difference by providing livestock and training, connecting farmers to markets and helping entire communities lift themselves out of poverty.
We have an ambitious new goal: by 2020, we will have helped 4 million families, who currently experience extreme hunger and poverty, secure an annual livable wage to live resilient, self-reliant lives.
We will help these families earn well beyond $1.50 per day, per person, to a regionally defined income that allows them to
· Feed themselves adequately every month of the year
· Educate their children, including the girls
· Have proper housing, water, hygiene, etc.
We are excited to participate in Live Below the Line in 2015, to help raise funds and awareness for the universal goal of ending poverty and restoring dignity for all. We challenge each of you to think way above the extreme poverty line, because $1.51 per day is still an unacceptable way to live.
The Heifer International team will be participating in the challenge and raising funds. Find out more and sign up at: https://www.livebelowtheline.com/us/partner/heifer
Share on Your Social Media Channels!
- Live #BelowtheLine! Register to fight poverty by raising funds & awareness w/@Heifer http://hefr.in/lblhi
- Thousands are taking the challenge to eat & drink on $1.50/day. Live #belowtheline w/@Heifer http://hefr.in/lblhi
- Live #BelowtheLine! Help @Heifer fight poverty by raising funds & awareness http://hefr.in/lblhi
- Tips to Live #BelowtheLine w/@Heifer: Eat protein, drink H2O, get friends involved! More at http://hefr.in/lblhi
- Live Below the Line is Live! In April, thousands worldwide will Live #BelowtheLine, taking the global challenge to eat and drink on $1.50 a day for 5 days. Think you’re up to the challenge? REGISTER to help Heifer International and more of the world’s best poverty-fighting groups raise funds and awareness at http://hefr.in/lblhi.
- Take the challenge to Live #BelowtheLine! Register to help fight poverty by raising funds & awareness with Heifer International at http://hefr.in/lblhi.
- From April 27th to May 1st, join Heifer International in living on $1.50 a day for 5 days to change the way people think about extreme poverty. Take the Live #BelowtheLine challenge at http://hefr.in/lblhi.
Tips for participating:
We know that cooking for the Live Below the Line challenge can seem extremely challenging, so here are some tips:
You have a total of $7.50 to buy the ingredients for all of your meals for five days. Here are a few suggestions of inexpensive, staple ingredients that you may want to include on your shopping list: rice, beans, chickpeas, corn, tomato sauce, noodles, eggs, carrots, onions, canola oil, garlic, salt, pepper, bananas, pasta, oatmeal, etc.
• You can count tap water as being free.
• You can’t grab a snack from the pantry unless you count the cost of the item within your budget.
• For items such as salt and pepper, simply work out the cost of each item per ounce and budget your shopping proportionally.
• You can use food from your garden as long as you account for the price of production.
• You cannot accept “donated” food from others.