Omaha, NE (November 7, 2014) - A flat stomach is a hot commodity among travel physical therapy and nursing professionals. Aureus Medical Group, a nationwide leader in healthcare staffing, shares a few exercises that will help you get a six pack.
Besides looking good, a strong core is vital for balance and stability. However, as travel PT specialists know, sit-ups and crunches can place unnecessary pressure on the spine, making them a less-than-ideal exercise for building strong abdominals. To start a training regimen that will help chisel the stomach, take on the following exercises:
1. Slam ball
- Grab a relatively lightweight medicine ball or slam ball (different from a medicine ball in that it's designed for impact) and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Maintain good posture by keeping your torso upright, and bring the ball above your head with your elbows slightly bent.
- Throw the ball directly downward at the ground at hard as possible. If you're using a medicine ball, catch it upon the bounce. If you're exercising with a slam ball, lean over and pick up the ball from the ground.
- Repeat for three sets, 20 reps each, and rest 60 seconds between sets.
- Lie on a mat on your back, and keeping your arms pressed flat against the mat, raise your legs until you have a 90-degree bend at the hips.
- Maintaining straight legs, lower them slowly to the right, allowing them to almost touch the floor.
- Return the legs to the upright position and then lower them to the left.
- Repeat for four sets, 10 reps to each side. Rest 60 seconds between each set.
3. Ab wheel rollout
- Kneel on the floor with your knees directly under your hips. Your hands should be directly under your shoulders holding the handles of an ab wheel.
- Keeping the back flat and squeezing your abs, slowly roll the ab wheel out, allowing your arms to extend in front of your body. Roll out as far as your ab strength allows, then push your palms toward the floor and squeeze your abs while you push your hips back toward the start position.
About Aureus Medical Group:
Aureus Medical Group is a national leader in healthcare staffing specializing in the successful placement of Nursing, Advanced Practice, Cardiopulmonary, Diagnostic Imaging, Medical Laboratory, Neurodiagnostics, Radiation Oncology, and Rehabilitation Therapy professionals, as well as Physicians, in hospitals and medical facilities nationwide. With more than 30 years of experience, Aureus Medical offers a full range of staffing options, including national contract (travel), local contract, and direct hire. Aureus Medical is the largest affiliate of Omaha-based C&A Industries, a leading provider of human capital management solutions for more than 45 years.